Please start developing a Windows 7 / Vista TV Pack 2008 of the TV-Server (1 Viewer)

asd7000

Portal Pro
May 17, 2008
Well many of the dev team say that they don´t want to develop a windows 7 version of mediaportal because windows 7 is still in beta state. But the problems with the tv-server are caused through a bda architechture change that allready took plase in windows vista with the tv pack 2008. If´ve been tesing and reading much in the last two month since i started using windows 7 and so i found some informations on the new BDA 1.3 system. As long a i can see there aren´t any changes to expect because BDA 1.3 is a peace of Vista TV Pack 2008 and that is allready final. I would recommend to start developing a Windows 7 / Vista TV Pack Version of the tv-server. MediaPortal itselfs doesn´t need any modification to run on Windows 7 only the TV-Server has a problem to start a new subchannel on dvb cards. By the way recording and watching the same channel or recording and watching multible channels on analog cards works fine. If i would be able to develop such a version i would but my coding experience stopped with delfi and basic :D
But iw ould test anything to help improving mediaportal on windows seven and the vista tv-pack 2008

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm a bit lost on this, all the tvpack does is convince the system to support dvb-s\s2 via a dvb hack, and MP already does all this natively :confused:

or have I missed something.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Nope the TV Pack is from MS and should natively support DVB-S. But they changed more than this and that causes the tv-server to fail creating a new subchannel.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm with you now, they have changed the dvb filters to suite their own needs, so tvserver cannot connect correctly anymore.

Another reason not to try the tvpack, no wonder M$ is not offering this on the update site.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Yes that´s correct but they don´t provide it on the update site because they thing they have done a great job and want to earn some money for that :D
    But what i have seen the changes in the tv-server haven´t to be that much, because basicly the tv-server is working. But they changed the behavior in creating a new subchannel. But i will do some tests after i downloaded the 1,3GB SDK to get the proppage.dll. Its often written that it is not possible to record an watch shows on different transponders with multible tuners. I know why because recording and whatching the same channel is often done on two cards. I often have seen that in the tv-servers configuration that the recording runs on card one while the timeshift runs on card two. The drivers aren´t the problem and it´s not hadware specific. I tried it with my two Creatix Cards and 2 MSI Digi Vox Duo USB Sticks. The creatix cards are hybrid tuners with hardware encoding. so i tested them in analog mode and they work perfect in anlog mode. Recording and timeshifting is the done on the same card! So i could record and watch two channels at the same time!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    At some day we will start developing on Windows 7. Any volunteers to buy lisences? I'm not going to install a beta OS on my dev PC.

Currently the more important thing is to focus on available, non-beta OSes as most of the team members wont update their HTPCs into Windows 7 as soon as it is available. Why change a working thing?

btw. it might require pretty big changes to TVE3 to "fix" the issues that have appeared with Windows 7.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Well thats exactly what i am talking about. That changes aren´t windows 7 specific. That changes allready happened at the vista tv pack 2008. And that is now out for some time. So there are allready non beta users that have the same problems. In windows 7 and vista tv pack bda has been updated to version 1.3 and so there have been some changes. Well what are that important things? The non linear stretch. I can´t imagine any use use for that. Well at moment you got that OS for free i would say thats the perfect moment to work on it because now you don´t have to pay for it. Most of the team members won´t change, ok. But im sure most of the users will. Why changing a working thing well if it would be working like it should i don´t need windows 7 for it. Sorry that im to poor to buy that new big fat quadcore core 2 to get a stupid movie running without problems. So i worked with windows xp and windows vista. And after that i changed to windows 7. Well now i have a fast and stable system. XP was both but to old for dxva and vista was neighter of that. Windows 7 works out of the box. I make a clean install with all that is needed, including the mediaportal tv-server and channel scanning, in less than an hour. Ok i got it so i spend to much time with that stupid mediaportal software and it was a failure buying compatible cards for that stupid tv-server. I don´t get it why there is so much time for working on useless crap like that the non linear stretch but no time for making the tv-server bda 1.3 compatible. And the changes can´t be that big. Because the tv-server as i allready said works basicly but has a problem with creating a new subchannel. So as i saw that they changed the command for that. So as i would expect you have to find the section where that command is used and change it.

And now don´t tell me that it´s for free and so on things. That it is for free is no excuse, neighter would it be for windows and i would say not the half of the users where paying for it! But all talking about what crap windows is. But now we get a chance to get a new better windows but as with vista before the developers are sleeping so that we would get a new nice but not useable system. Sometimes you have to let that old things behind you to find a better way.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Oh, boy. Someone has figured out how to motivate people to work on their free time... At least I have now no huge urge to start to check the BDA related changes that Vista TV pack / Windows 7 has.

When you start bashing people, please try to get the facts strainght:

I don´t get it why there is so much time for working on useless crap like that the non linear stretch but no time for making the tv-server bda 1.3 compatible.

Non-linear streach has had almost zero impact in the available development time. It was an user patch, with the community testing behind it. Maybe same should happen for the Windows 7 support, as it seems that part of the community has huge urge to have it done. Any volunteers to provide a patch?

Currently we have only few developers who are able to do such changes:

gemx - busy with real life
    ambass - busy with fixing open issues (also busy with real life)
    MisterD - busy with analog side related changes
    me - pissed off enough from the user feedback so I'll ignore the task, also busy with fixing issues that are affecting my own HTPC

What comes to other "not so important" things, just have a look on the Mantis. There has been huge amount of bug fixing ongoing that will also benefit the future Windows 7 users. I would say its much better to fix the things that are affecting the whole user base (including team members as well) than fix some things that are affecting much smaller user base.

At least we agree on one thing, no one should ever use the the non-linear stretch :D

And what comes to the TVE3 and Windows 7 - it will be compatible at some day. And what comes to the TV pack 2008 and Vista. Just don't install it if you are planning to use TVE3. It will have no benefits, simple as that. It font provide any new features, simple as that.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Well i would be starting to code a patch if i could. I have been downloading anything but that bring me excactly nothing because the Visual Studio 2008 Express isn´t compatibel with 2005 Projects. What bring me to a question why .Net? I started hating .Net as i saw it the first time at the catalyst control center :D It´s just that slow and unhandy.
    If i would have that big fat quadcore i wouldn´t need windows 7. Windows XP has to much problems with dxva and the ati hd3450 card. But without that card you can´t watch hd movies on a pentium 4 3.0Ghz. So Vista is that slow and buggy a would never use it. If i would like to fell like owning a 486er computer i just go to the local recycler and take one. Don´t need vista for that. Only Windows 7 does what is should and is even fast. May ill spend my time to get a dualcore processor on a intel 915g chipset working. But as i know that´s imposible. But that was it too getting tv with mediaportal working. And that took me a year to learn it.
    Well i have also my own life and i am spending much time in the forum to support mediaportal. The actual dvbfix has been from me. There was not much thanks for that. If i would get paid with 10 Euro for every night i spend on mediaportal, i could stop working for the rest of this year. For me mediaportal doen´t make a sence anymore. Just spending to much time, but when needed i got no support. I put to much work in that project and get to less out of it.
    by the way how can i delete my account?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom