Plug-in for Media portal Help! (1 Viewer)

basimn

October 28, 2011
Hi;

I’m a .NET developer; I have been reading the Wiki for days now to learn how to build a Plug-in for Media portal 1.2.1

I think that MediaPortal is a great project, but sadly I could not find samples and examples that can bring developers to an advanced level to develop cool applications…

For example, I have been trying to create multiple windows for the same plug-in, something like a master-details-sub details forms, I have also tried to find a way to populate a list with variable options dynamically from the code, where if some option is selected, another set of options can also be selected, etc…

I truly appreciate it if someone can provide me with a cheat-sheet or a link that I may have missed to bring my skills to the next level beyond OnClick!

Thanks;
B.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you seen wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/18_Contribute/7_Skins/Skin_Architecture/GuiControlsDemo

Source code is available in repository. Also check out other plugins. Most have the source available

basimn

October 28, 2011
    Yes I did, but I could not install it, an error Message pops while installing,

No MediaPortal dependency found!
    No Plugin dependencies found!

I think it is targeting a different version of MediaPortal

To read the source of other plugins is in my opinion is not a practical way to learn! In the end it seems that this is the only way I have been left with to try and learn how to develop for this project!

Thanks for the reply…

FredP42

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 2, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Plug-in for Media portal Help!

Hello basimm,
    It is true that the documentation of MediaPortal is light, but I have to admit it has improved a lot!
    The wiki has a lot of information and the Plugin Developer's Guide - MediaPortal Wiki is the good place to start to create a plugin.
    I remember seeing a demo plugin with several controls but I couldn't find the link :(

A skin control is very similar to a regular Form control.
    VisualStudio completion helps to discover the methods of the control, it is just annoying not to have the documentation.

If you want to populate a list, you can do:
    Code:
      // add a listcontrol to the skin with id = 10
      [SkinControlAttribute(10)]
      protected GUIListControl lstDetails = null;

private void PopulateList(string[] list)
      {
          foreach (string str in list)
          {
              GUIListItem item = new GUIListItem();
              item.Label = str;
              lstDetails.Add(item);
          }
      }

For the master-details-sub details forms, I don't know what you want to do exactly but it seems you'll need two controls a list and a text control (?).

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    In 1.2.0 Beta a version check was introduced:
    Version Compatibility - MediaPortal Wiki

The GUIControlsDemo is probably not updated to support this :(

Anyways, a great way to learn how plugins are constructed, is to look at all the sourcecode that most of the plugins have available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom