Plugin Architecture (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was wondering how plugins work within MP. Reading here it appears that plugins are actually built into the main source ??

I am a C++ programmer and was looking at an LCD plugin. Could anyone give me any pointers on whether it is possible to build a plugin in C++ and if so what interface there is to get info from MP (track names / sample rate / artist etc)

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's not build in, but you need the MP source package to build one. When you compiled your plugin you can distribute it apart of MP.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    mPod said:
    It's not build in, but you need the MP source package to build one. When you compiled your plugin you can distribute it apart of MP.
    I am @ work at the minute so can not view the source but I will download it when I get home. Before I do though, is there actually an interface that will allow me to get info on the current status (what screen is showing / what is playing etc)

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    jameson_uk said:
    I was wondering how plugins work within MP. Reading here it appears that plugins are actually built into the main source ??

I am a C++ programmer and was looking at an LCD plugin. Could anyone give me any pointers on whether it is possible to build a plugin in C++ and if so what interface there is to get info from MP (track names / sample rate / artist etc)

The main answer is in dek's response above. However I have a few things to add:

The plugins are 'built into the source' for tidiness sake I think... MP will still load individual plugins if they are placed in the correct folders - mediaportal\plugins\process for non-GUI plugins, and mediaportal\plugins\window for window plugins.

If you are using C++ you need to use managed C++ in order to work with MP (unless you're going to use COM which I'm not very familiar with).

There is no fixed interface to get info from MP, its mainly just an aggregration from a number of sources once you work out which module is playing. I've done some coding for this for the web interface. It would be nice to see an actual interface developed though...

Sam

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    dek said:
    For LCD-support see this thread:
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21

Dek
    (again points to his signature, search before post!!)
    I have read this thread (and several others) but this is partly something I am doing off my own back. I am half way through creating an LCD app (like Smartie or LCDC). This is really only a personal project at the moment but I would like to interface MP to it.

I guess the more important info was how I could access info such as file stats / artist details etc via C++.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom