[Plugin] BBC Weather (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    (2) Which skin do you use? I get a flash (and some other wierd behaviour) with Avalon.

Me too, sometimes just get no graphics at all, go out and back in then its fine.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    With US weather now totally non functional in both MediaPortal Weather and InfoService BasicHome weather, I'm desperatly hoping you can make progress with this plugin to include the international support that BBC Weather supports. I tried manually adjusting the mediainfo.xml file to use the same weather location ID that BBC Weather website uses for this location, but that made MediaPortal crash.

Looking at the BBC API site, they say they support international cities, but when I manually try for example New York's code of '5128581' with their API examples, I'm getting 500 errors from BBC server, so clearly something is not working on their end with the RSS system.

Maybe via website scraping or something you can still make it work, which would make a lot of US users very happy :)

IanJ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hi all,

Great plugin.......and good to have at the moment due to MP's weather feed problems.

I've tweaked the XML for MAYA (1366x768) under MP 1.2.1. See attached.

One slight issue, if I specify Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire as the location then it displays as Charleston......which is 15 miles from me. However, I try the same on BBC Weather website then it does display Stonehaven correctly.

BUG/ISSUE - I notice a problem when changing from 5-day to 24hr forecasts etc......it seems to flash up very, very briefly when changing from one to another a copy of the Monthly Outlook text............look like a caching bug or something. Sometimes it will result in a blank page.

REQUEST - Could you make it so that on entry to the page the current page selection is pre-highlighted........rather than nothing at all until you press up/down.

Ian.

PS. I notice the developer is from Keighley West Yorks possibly.........ahhh, yes, know that place well in regard to Trials Motorcycles!

Attachments

• BBCWeather.xml
      57.5 KB

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Hi all,
    One slight issue, if I specify Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire as the location then it displays as Charleston......which is 15 miles from me. However, I try the same on BBC Weather website then it does display Stonehaven correctly.

Couldn't you just move?

Seriously - I'll check...... ZOINK! The BBC have changed their BBC Weather layout! When did that happen? Now I need to consider updating this plugin to mirror this look/feel.

BUG/ISSUE - I notice a problem when changing from 5-day to 24hr forecasts etc......it seems to flash up very, very briefly when changing from one to another a copy of the Monthly Outlook text............look like a caching bug or something. Sometimes it will result in a blank page.

Hopefully fixed in the next version.

REQUEST - Could you make it so that on entry to the page the current page selection is pre-highlighted........rather than nothing at all until you press up/down.

I'll see what I can do - there's some specific button jiggery-pokery specifically to support the Avalon skin and its hidden menu though which results in this behaviour.

PS. I notice the developer is from Keighley West Yorks possibly.........ahhh, yes, know that place well in regard to Trials Motorcycles!

He he - I am located near Keighley, however hail from Dundee - small world as I used to visit Stonehaven a bit when some family members lived in Inverbervie.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    With US weather now totally non functional in both MediaPortal Weather and InfoService BasicHome weather, I'm desperatly hoping you can make progress with this plugin to include the international support that BBC Weather supports. I tried manually adjusting the mediainfo.xml file to use the same weather location ID that BBC Weather website uses for this location, but that made MediaPortal crash.

Looking at the BBC API site, they say they support international cities, but when I manually try for example New York's code of '5128581' with their API examples, I'm getting 500 errors from BBC server, so clearly something is not working on their end with the RSS system.

Maybe via website scraping or something you can still make it work, which would make a lot of US users very happy :)

Yes - I did make this UK specific initially. I am aware that international cities are available on the BBC weather site, the forecasts available are different though so the plugin would have to handle that. I shall have a look at this when I've finished the other ongoing work.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yes - I did make this UK specific initially. I am aware that international cities are available on the BBC weather site, the forecasts available are different though so the plugin would have to handle that. I shall have a look at this when I've finished the other ongoing work.

Take your time, I know from working on the IMDb+ plugin myself that getting asked to implement something is much easier then actually making it happen in code :cool:

Obviously you made this for UK weather first, so get that working the way you want, but then if you can find some free time, try to think of us poor Americans :D

In the meantime I found the yrWeather plugin on the forum, which is based on a Norwegian weather site that supports US locations (for those desperate for functional weather info inside MediaPortal right now). But that one doesn't have the option to replace the basicHome InfoService labels like you did with yours, nor some of the other functions.

On a side note if you are expanding function, it would be freaking awesome if you can make it work to get those weather forecast videos to work that I saw when looking at the BBC Weather website. Either direct inside your own plugin, or indirect via the existing OnlineVideos plugin with a hyperlink parameter (simelair to how MovingPictures makes its trailer function work).

If you need any Regular Expression help for the scraping website part, then let me know. Don't forget, if things seem to get crazy on the code side, consider putting your project on Google Code site, or any other open source site (codeplex, github, sourceforce, etc). That way other MediaPortal coders can step in and help you out. Without the same assistance from others I never would have been able to get the functionality into the IMDb+ plugin as fast, by myself (if even ever :D).

:D :D

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hello mate,

I have recently installed your latest version onto my 1.2.1 install, but have an annoying issue :(

When my HTPC sleeps and then wakes, MePo crashes (client only, not TV server).

The error.log contains:

2011-11-21 20:22:40.580003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.580003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.581003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.581003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.583003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.583003 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.584004 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:22:40.584004 [ERROR][(10)]: plugin: BBCWeather - error downloading weather, no internet connection
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.031931 [ERROR][(10)]: MediaPortal: Unhandled exception occured
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.046932 [ERROR][(10)]: Exception :confused:ystem.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'news.bbc.co.uk'
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.ParseRegionName()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.DownloadAll()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.RefreshMe()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin._Lambda$__1(Object a0)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.046932 [ERROR][(10)]: Exception :The remote name could not be resolved: 'news.bbc.co.uk'
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.047932 [ERROR][(10)]: site :Byte[] DownloadDataInternal(System.Uri, System.Net.WebRequest ByRef)
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.047932 [ERROR][(10)]: source :confused:ystem
    2011-11-21 20:23:00.048932 [ERROR][(10)]: stacktrace: at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.ParseRegionName()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.DownloadAll()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin.RefreshMe()
    at BBCWeather.BBCWeatherPlugin._Lambda$__1(Object a0)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)

I am assuming the plugin is trying to connect to the web/DNS before my NIC has woke up and connected ok. I have my OS configured (reg hack) to ignore link state on the NIC (such that TV server doesn't die if my switch/switch is rebooted).

I assume the plugin should be able to handle this (and definately shouldn't crash out MePo itself)?

Any chance you could have a look at the exception handling?? :)

Cheers,

J. :D

Attachments

• MediaPortal.bak
      39.2 KB
    • error.bak
      3.5 KB

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Am i supposed to get weather icons on the home screen the same as we used to with the old default weather plugin? The data part (temperature etc) seem to work, but i get no images. Ive disabled default weather plugin and also unticked 'enable weather' in infoservice but still no luck?:

Untitled-3.jpg

ramyad

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2011
    Home Country
    EDIT: Nevermind, I read through posts and see that StreamedMP is not supporting this plugin.

Thanks
    Ram

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom