Plugin Developers Wanted - tvSpaceSaver plugin for TV-Server (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yet another concept from me...

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...gn_Concepts/tvSpaceSaver_plugin_for_TV-Server

I'm looking for someone who would be intersted in developing this as a plugin...

tvSpaceSaver

Description:
    • Older tv-recordings are automatically compressed using handbrake +/- moved to a network share folder.
    • This is to save space for users who want to keep large numbers of tv-recordings.
    Also: compressed tv-recordings can't be kept in the database due to filename extension changes, but this plugin would also solve that problem for users.

Mockup:

tvSpaceSaver.jpg

Installation:
    Setup:

tvSpaceSaver2.jpg

Pretty self explanatory.
    Create button launches the handbrake portable installation so you can create a custom profile and save it.
    When you click on select profile, plugin does quick scan to get list of profile names from handrake.ini file.

How it works:

When conditions are met tvSpaceSaver runs .ts file through handbrake and creates a .mkv file with same name.

TV-Server recordings database is edited and %recording%.ts is changed to %recording%.mkv
    Original .ts file is deleted to the system recycle bin
    If Move Recordings is enabled the .mkv is moved to remote folder location and a .sym link is created
    If remote folder location is unavailable then tvSpacesaver rechecks every 1hr to see when it is available then moves the file and creates a .symlink

Explanation of options

Compressing a video lowers the quality.
    If you watch + delete the recording within X days then there is no point processing it. This is why we have the option to wait X days.
    If you use episode management to limit the number of recordings to a very small number, then there is no point processing a recording since it will be deleted soon anyway. (eg. Daily News, Episodes to keep =2)

Potential problems:

How do we handle subtitles embeded in the .ts stream? (Thanks tourettes)

Additional options:
    We could also incorporate mkvmerge and create chapter files inside the mkv using comskip markers.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Nice job on the design concepts kiwi! I hope that Quater's participation is a sign of the efficacy of using this method!
    One suggestion - could you give the tvSpaceSaver plugin wiki page an actual page title (instead of just Page Title?) I assume you just forgot to enter a title? You can just hover over the title and press Edit (no need to actually open the page in edit).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    One issue is that there is no automated way of converting DVB (bitmap) subtitles? Or is there?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ProjectX which uses java and can be command line driven can extract ttx pts & dvb st pts as well as teletext and save as srt/idx+sub. It can also mux/demux .ts files. I'm not sure if it is worth the added complexity for subtitles support.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ProjectX which uses java and can be command line driven can extract ttx pts & dvb st pts as well as teletext and save as srt/idx+sub. It can also mux/demux .ts files. I'm not sure if it is worth the added complexity for subtitles support.

Subtitles are quite important for some countries.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can design a box in photoshop with a tick next to Process subtitles, but that is about it :D

Seriously though, you are correct if this was a core MP feature it would need subtitle support.

If this was picked up as a 3rd party plugin it could be developed without subtitle support and perhaps subtitles could be added in the future.

I forget about subtitle support as the 99% of the TV here is broadcast in our native language.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    If this was picked up as a 3rd party plugin it could be developed without subtitle support and perhaps subtitles could be added in the future.

Actually 3rd party plugin might be even better in any case. It would give more freedom when it comes to updates.

I forget about subtitle support as the 99% of the TV here is broadcast in our native language.

Dubbing rules :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom