Plugin Developers Wanted - tvSpaceSaver plugin for TV-Server (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that plugin. It is a bit similar, but that is just moving files.

Doesn't offer
    - automatic management/set and forget.
    - compression
    - doesn't create sym links to preserve entry in database if NAS offline
    - moved files don't remain in tv database (so can't access files under my recorded tv)
    - plugin is for MP, mine is for tv-server.

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Changelog is telling that compressin/decompression was added.
    Other features are easiliy implemented I think.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's just gzip compression though isn't it? I think the fundamental design is wrong, as it is client based whereas recordings are server based.

Still you're right it does some of the features, but could be improved a lot to make it useful and automated.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is a nice idea, except I wouldn't necessarily want my PC to occupy itself compressing recordings (which can take an hour per programme at almost 100% CPU) just because they are old. I might just not have got round to watching them yet but don't necessarily want them archived. Wouldn't it be better if we could mark certain programmes, or if that's too difficult with the current MP GUI just manually move them to a sub-folder under Recordings using Windows Explorer and have only those programmes compressed/archived?

lotrdev

August 23, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know this thread is ages old, but this is the exact thing that I want to do with my MediaPortal setup. I was considering scripting it, but I like the idea of creating a plugin better and your design is a nice starting point. I'm a software developer and so I'm going to give this a try (unless you found a better solution since then). Since I only use the MediaPortal server I need the plugin to be on that side of things.

Reply or send me a PM if you're still interested in making this happen and are willing to help. Either way I'm going to create it for my own use so it may as well be useful for others too.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can contribute some ideas If I have time but I don't user tv server or have it installed currently. You need to know that tv server is being changed to a new version so your plugin world need to be revised in the near future when we change to tv server 3.5

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh I have a concept already lol. It might be worth also adding a thumbnail function that grabs a thumbnail from thetvdb or fanart.tv

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From memory the thumbnail plugin never got 100% finished.

lotrdev

August 23, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok cool. At the moment I'm just nailing down the basic functionality which wouldn't change with the new TV Server. Any API calls that change could be fairly easily updated. For the most part it's savings some settings and calling external programs at a scheduled time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom