Plugin List (1 Viewer)

juan pablo

Portal Member
October 11, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
As a keen follower of Mediaportal, i often find it quite hard to keep up to date with whats going on and which plug-ins do what, which of a similar bunch is the best and how to even find the required plug-in.

As such the forum often seems a little disjointed with multiple projects offering very similar characteristics, so taking on from the smoothwall firewall project i think it would be a good idea to copy there lead and have a definitive list of plugins available, grouped by functionality.

If one of the mods is prepared to do this great! If not then i will.

However this would mean making this topic a sticky so that it is clearly visible at all times. Mods - please make this happen.

In the meantime, if you have a mod available please email me direct with the following details:

1) Mod Name
2) Forum thread url on which details of your plugin can be found
3) Mod Function / type

Thanks, and hopefully this will help everyone and be well supported.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Er...isn't this what the plugins repository on the main MediaPortal site does?

I'll admit there's some plugins here that aren't in the repository, but they're mainly not ready for release yet I think.

Sam

juan pablo

Portal Member
October 11, 2006
Home Country
Errrm Ugh! Yes, but then isnt this forum littered with numerous plugins that arent available in the main repository!

Arent there numerous plugins trying to achieve similar things that would be best served working together, but no-one knows this because its hard to find stuff here. Urm YES!

Excuse me for trying to help people by being willing to take on the shitty task of indexing them all in the hope of building some cohesion between projects and helping users find the threads they need.

Never mind if the idea is so offensive to your high and mightyness, then i wont bother.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Relax juan pablo. I don't get the idea that samual was offended, or offensive against you, so please show him some respect.

I think the idea is good and would like you to go ahead. Probably a good start to see whats available in the repository and index those first, and then go through the forum and collect the rest from there.

Just a thought.

juan pablo

Portal Member
    October 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Sam

Hhhmmmm! Seems more than a little arrogant to me.

If he was simply trying to alert my attention to the existance of the repository he would have approached the subject in a much more friendly and less arrogant maner such as 'Hi Juan Pablo, Are you aware the repository already lists many of the completed mods'

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I find that this effort will be futile. The reason I say that is I tried to perform this task back many many months ago the first step was in creating a spreadsheet to try and track each plugin. I did get some replies from some developers but mainly what you will find is that once a developer (this does not apply to every developer) has completed the plugin to their satisfaction then support tends to drop off. Some developers do not provide source code. In my mind those developers who do not provide full source code to their plugin - that plugin should be dropped.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Sam

Hhhmmmm! Seems more than a little arrogant to me.

If he was simply trying to alert my attention to the existance of the repository he would have approached the subject in a much more friendly and less arrogant maner such as 'Hi Juan Pablo, Are you aware the repository already lists many of the completed mods'

Well, I really don't find samuels response offensive or arrogant. Frankly, I am inclined to conclude that you, Sir, are arrogant in the way you are presenting yourself in this thread. But that's just me and I don't know you, so I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I simply missunderstood you and hope you can do the same with samuel.

So, are you still intersted in doing this and have you begun indexing whats available in the repository yet?

Inker

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Whoa, geez, Inker's right (thanks), there was no intention of offending anyone. It was just a comment. Sorry I don't speak as eloquently as you do. Anyway enough about that, it's irrelevant.

As someone who has recently been burned by the duplicate plugin problem (by the MP devs too, but I digress), I certainly agree with you that there should be a list of plugins available, and who's working on what so there's less duplication.

A lot of duplication arises because people don't like to disclose what they're working on until they're done because they don't want people to expect it to be coming, adding extra pressure. After all, this is a hobby project AFAIK. But a central list would be good as it'll help link people who are thinking of the same thing to get together.

But instead of reinventing the wheel, maybe the focus should be on making the plugin repository friendlier so people will use it instead of littering the forums with plugins. Maybe a section for up-and-coming plugins? I don't know what the solution is, but just not sure if reinventing the wheel is necessary. But I'm just one member here, and these are my thoughts. If you go ahead with your plans, and it helps just one other user here find something, then I'm all for it.

:)

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom