splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

I present to you a personal tv and radio guide which I called "TvBits".

The idea is to pick for you specific tv and radio programs from the guide which match your interests, thus reducing garbage. TvBits searches the tv guide based on the searches you define and also based on your viewing habits.

TvBits is designed to work in a TV server (single or multiseat) environment. It is built and tested with 1.2.0.

I also added a experimental "generic skin support" feature. The idea is to provide basic support for ANY skin by deploying missing skin files on demand (it is still possible to support certain skins explicitly). It is known to work quite well with the default, frames and fidelity skins. Only 1280x720 skins are supported atm. Skins with higher resolution work also, but with incorrect dimensions.

Happy viewing!

splatterpop

Goal and concept

Premises and assumptions:
    + I think tv is mostly garbage, but there are shows which are worth watching.
    + I want to consider only those tv shows that interest me.
    + I also do not like to miss an interesting show.
    + I am able to express my interests verbally.
    + I want an easy way to see if anything interesting is on right now, or anytime soon.

The goal and purpose of TvBits is to adress these needs. It searches the tv guide for specific shows that match your interests, which can be expressed in the configuration as a combination of keywords, genres and tv stations, plus some extra options. Each combination of these parameters makes a search. You may define any number of searches, which will be executed periodically in the background.

Results are presented as a list inside MP. Clicking on any item in that result list takes you to other MP components where you may perform further actions, such as schedule a recording.

Tvbits also analyzes your viewing history, which is interpreted as an expression of interest, thus adapting to your viewing habits.

Installation

Run the mpe1 file.

Configuration

Open tv server configuration, then go to plugins and select TvBits. Add new searches by clicking on the button and configure it in the respective page.

How to configure a search:
    Enter one or more keywords which should be considered in the search. More keywords will give more results. To exclude a keyword, put a minus sign "-" in front. Any show with that word in the title (or description, if enabled) will be excluded from the results. Exclusions have priority over inclusions. Select the stations that you want to include in your search. Selecting none will include all. Genre selection works in the same manner.

Options: choose if
    + the description text should also be searched for keywords (inclusions and exclusions)
    + only the first airing of a show should be in the results
    + you want to schedule a recording automatically

On the "favourite genres" page you can find the parameters for the adaptive search.

On the "main" page, you can change settings that affect overall operation.

Click OK to save your settings. Clicking cancel in the setup dialog discards ALL changes.

Operation

In MP, open the TvBits plugin page. The result list will reflect your search results (if any). Each result is a tv or radio show, either currently running or in the future. Clicking on a running tv show takes you to fullscreen tv / radio directly. Clicking on a future tv show takes you to the details page of that show, where you may e.g. schedule a recording.

The results are displayed per-search. The searches are displayed above the list. Click the up/down buttons to step through the search definitions. The results derived from the adaptive search are displayed separately under "your favorite genres" which is being generated automatically.

Attachments

• 10-12-48.png
      10-12-48.png
      165.7 KB
    • 10-12-42.png
      10-12-42.png
      147.2 KB
    • Config-Main.JPG
      Config-Main.JPG
      49.2 KB
    • Config-Favs.JPG
      Config-Favs.JPG
      48.1 KB
    • Config-Newsearch.JPG
      Config-Newsearch.JPG
      55.8 KB
    • Config-Example1.JPG
      Config-Example1.JPG
      55.2 KB
    • Config-Example2.JPG
      Config-Example2.JPG
      55.5 KB
    • TvBits.mpe1
      33.8 KB

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TvBits should be listed in plugins.

You should see the programs listed there (if any matches). Selecting a program takes you to MP's details page, except selecting a running program directly starts playback.

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    Do you have some more information about your plugin? Screenshots?

How can I describe my wishes? Do I have to type in a list with my prefered actors? Or is the plugin learning like a spam filter? This would be very cool.

At last I would be nice if I could have some less advanced featues: Record every show with "xyz" containing in the title.
    bye, urev

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you have some more information about your plugin? Screenshots?

How can I describe my wishes? Do I have to type in a list with my prefered actors? Or is the plugin learning like a spam filter? This would be very cool.

At last I would be nice if I could have some less advanced featues: Record every show with "xyz" containing in the title.
    bye, urev

Hi I just tested your plug in, works great!
    However I must admit, that I would also like to see something like urev suggested; the shows are chosen and/or recorded by viewing habits, would be a great thing.
    The "old" TVC had such a feature, and it was also directly integrated in the Channel-List as a own private TV "channel" where all the recordings that had been made on your habits have been stored/shown, and you could directly start the respective show from the list.
    However its a step in the right directtion: search for movies/shows of a special interest (e.G. James Bond)

Thank you very much! Maybe you can think about the above....

cheers

joystick

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it works for you and you like it.

I made a version which implements autmatic scheduling, thanks for the suggestion!

Yes I heard about the personal channel feature, and I think there was some plugin that made use of it. However I think tvbits should have a more interest / content based approach. However I will think about a way of integrating viewing habits... hmmm.

I will post some screenshots soon, I need to figure out how to do this first.

Come up with your suggestions, lets make this a good plugin.

splatterpop

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    1. Would be nice, if TvBits could show a recording indicator, so I can notice if I scheduled the propoesed programm.
    2. Dles TvBits scan for multiple words? One line (in the search dialog) represents one expresseion. Multiple lines are connected via "OR"-search?

bye,urev

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Hi splatterpop.

Sorry, I haven't had the time yet to test your plugin yet.

Maybe this very old thread helps you for the personal tv-guide idea. Especially from page 2 of the thread there are some detailed conceptional ideas.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...new-alpha-version-learning-personal-epg-3874/

There was also an alpha version (for the old tv engine) available (which mainly worked with keywords, no viewing habbits)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/personal-tv-guide-5216/

I think Bavarian has a very much advanced, but uncompleted version of his plugin (Maybe already for TVE3). But as he has done a lot of work for MP in other areas, he never came around to finish it. AFAIK, he still wants to continue (sometime). Maybe it would be worth contacting him, if you want to extend your plugin in the direction of viewing habbits.

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom