Poll - Hauppauge MediaMVP Support (1 Viewer)

Would you have use for MediaMVP support

• Total voters

dljones8053

November 24, 2006
Virginia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For those that is mis-informed the MVP supports both DIVX and XVID, I run all of my Video, Recordings, Live-TV, Photos and MP3 though my MVP without any issues using GBPVR, however I like to see this app support it as well since Media Portal seems to stream video better to Clients PC then GBPVR latest version.

Great NAS for storing all you files on works great on a 100MB connection
http://www.freenas.org

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
The MVP doesn't and cannot support divx or xvid natively. VIdeo is typically transcoded on-the-fly to mpeg video so it can be played.

Martin

dljones8053

November 24, 2006
Virginia
Home Country
Media MVP

emveepee you are correct, Media MVP don't support anything on it's own just a bin files gets loaded from the server during boot up my bad :oops: I should have been more clear on that and thanks for pointing that out, I love my Media MVP as a set top box and no noise in my TV Room the remote controls the volume change channels for Live TV and anything my server can do with the file that gets booted in the Media MVP, I even use mvpmc for myth TV running GPVR just to test the dongle.bin file and the Media MVP once unplugged from power and turned back on booted the mvpmc file I could display the myth TV interface, just a FYI.

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
dljones8053, I'm a developer on the mvpmc project so I know the box pretty well. I was interested in support MP too, until I saw the SQL Server requirement. Too bad My SQL wasn't picked for this.

Martin

Steeb

Portal Member
August 21, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MVP as Thin end Client

Hi all,

any action/comments here from Guru of MVP known as 'emveepee' now that other member 'McChots' has stated that MySQL is now supported by the Server? IMHO this is the way to go. From my humble experience I have found that Media Portal is a superior piece of software to many others in the Home Entertainment front but offers very little in the way of a 'thin end client'. I do not need an energy sucking box of tricks (read PC with XP) in every room of my home. There is another bit of freeware software that does this for me simply with an MVP, BUT, overall it is not as good as MP. Please, please, please, any Devs out there an MVP calling back to an MP Server would make my day!

Thanks for your time

STEEB

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    MP does not have a seperate back end yet. It's under development, yes. So nobody can tell anything about support for 3rd party hardware yet. Let's talk again in let's say half a year. ;)

It's been half a year. Ready to talk? This would be the ultimate setup. MP is great and already edging out the competition. With this it would simply blow them all away. Keep up the great work guys!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I wish to add my encouragement to provide support for the MediaMVP.

How many people need to request it before you will consider it?

Sage TV, GBPVR, Beyond TV all support it, why not the best i.e. MediaPortal!!

I love MediaPortal, but I just don't want a noisy, power hungry PC in my living room. The MVP is a very inexpensive and simple way of extending media to another room.

Even if you could get MP working without the TV Server, that would be a great start.

This request has been around for a while, so could someone let me know what is required to get someone to work on it, or is that ever likely?

Thanks for your wonderful software.

TritonT

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For MP to have thin client support don't these things have to happen first:

1. The TV Server has to become a media server holding all the databases that the standalone MP currently holds.

2. The TV Server has to get a upnp plugin to talk to a range of thin clients not just the MediaMVP.

3. The TV Server has to get a media transcoding plugin to convert on-the-fly to whatever format each of the supported thin clients is capable of playing.

The idea of having thin client support is great, but I for one wouldn't choose the MVP, for a start it has no HD capability or dvi/hdmi connection.

If it was audio I wanted I'd choose the TerraTec Noxon2.

If it was video I wanted I'd choose the D-Link DSM-520.

And if I wanted to respect the origins of MediaPortal I'd choose an XBMC on XBox!!!

At the minute MediaPortal isn’t even a client to ‘a Mediaportal server’, so isn’t this thread jumping the gun a bit!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm not sure why you would need TV Server if you only want Video and Music support but I don't know that much about the inner workings of Media Portal. Perhaps you could explain that to me?

I agree MVP is not the most technically advanced thin client, but at less than $100 it is an amazing little box that with some mods can do quite a lot. I would never want a thin client with a hard drive. Why pay more when you can link to network drives that can be easily upgraded? Yes, the MVP does lack the DVI/HDMI support as well as hardware decoding for DIVx, although it does stream them rather well.

I agree the other boxes you suggested are great, but at 2 and 3 times the price I am not sure they are worth it! Have you used them? What do you think the major advantages are that justify the cost? I am sincerely interested in your experiences, as it is the best way to learn.

The MVP already has a pretty large installed base, and as I mentioned is supported by a lot of the MediaCentre software out there.

Just imagine if MP supported the MVP and you could have all its power and functionality for $100 a room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom