Poll - Hauppauge MediaMVP Support | Page 3

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by Anonymous, April 5, 2005.

?

Would you have use for MediaMVP support

1. Yes - I already own one and would love for it to be supported

92.1%
  2. Yes - I would buy one if there was support for it here

6.5%
  3. Yes - I currently use another software but would consider switching

0.8%
  4. No

0.6%
  1. dljones8053

dljones8053 New Member

Archive Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    For those that is mis-informed the MVP supports both DIVX and XVID, I run all of my Video, Recordings, Live-TV, Photos and MP3 though my MVP without any issues using GBPVR, however I like to see this app support it as well since Media Portal seems to stream video better to Clients PC then GBPVR latest version.

Great NAS for storing all you files on works great on a 100MB connection
    http://www.freenas.org

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. emveepee

emveepee Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    The MVP doesn't and cannot support divx or xvid natively. VIdeo is typically transcoded on-the-fly to mpeg video so it can be played.

Martin

4. dljones8053

dljones8053 New Member

Archive Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Media MVP

emveepee you are correct, Media MVP don't support anything on it's own just a bin files gets loaded from the server during boot up my bad :oops: I should have been more clear on that and thanks for pointing that out, I love my Media MVP as a set top box and no noise in my TV Room the remote controls the volume change channels for Live TV and anything my server can do with the file that gets booted in the Media MVP, I even use mvpmc for myth TV running GPVR just to test the dongle.bin file and the Media MVP once unplugged from power and turned back on booted the mvpmc file I could display the myth TV interface, just a FYI.

5. emveepee

emveepee Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    dljones8053, I'm a developer on the mvpmc project so I know the box pretty well. I was interested in support MP too, until I saw the SQL Server requirement. Too bad My SQL wasn't picked for this.

Martin

6. McChots

McChots Portal Pro

Everthing & Nothing
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    South Africa South Africa
    emveepee,

MySQL is now supported in the TVServer

7. Steeb

Steeb Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MVP as Thin end Client

Hi all,

any action/comments here from Guru of MVP known as 'emveepee' now that other member 'McChots' has stated that MySQL is now supported by the Server? IMHO this is the way to go. From my humble experience I have found that Media Portal is a superior piece of software to many others in the Home Entertainment front but offers very little in the way of a 'thin end client'. I do not need an energy sucking box of tricks (read PC with XP) in every room of my home. There is another bit of freeware software that does this for me simply with an MVP, BUT, overall it is not as good as MP. Please, please, please, any Devs out there an MVP calling back to an MP Server would make my day!

Thanks for your time

STEEB

8. alank
    • Premium Supporter

alank MP Donator

Java Developer
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    It's been half a year. Ready to talk? This would be the ultimate setup. MP is great and already edging out the competition. With this it would simply blow them all away. Keep up the great work guys!

9. Dadeo
    • Premium Supporter

Dadeo Docs Group Manager

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Show System Specs
    I wish to add my encouragement to provide support for the MediaMVP.

How many people need to request it before you will consider it?

Sage TV, GBPVR, Beyond TV all support it, why not the best i.e. MediaPortal!!

I love MediaPortal, but I just don't want a noisy, power hungry PC in my living room. The MVP is a very inexpensive and simple way of extending media to another room.

Even if you could get MP working without the TV Server, that would be a great start.

This request has been around for a while, so could someone let me know what is required to get someone to work on it, or is that ever likely?

Thanks for your wonderful software.

10. TritonT

TritonT Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For MP to have thin client support don't these things have to happen first:

1. The TV Server has to become a media server holding all the databases that the standalone MP currently holds.

2. The TV Server has to get a upnp plugin to talk to a range of thin clients not just the MediaMVP.

3. The TV Server has to get a media transcoding plugin to convert on-the-fly to whatever format each of the supported thin clients is capable of playing.

The idea of having thin client support is great, but I for one wouldn't choose the MVP, for a start it has no HD capability or dvi/hdmi connection.

If it was audio I wanted I'd choose the TerraTec Noxon2.

If it was video I wanted I'd choose the D-Link DSM-520.

And if I wanted to respect the origins of MediaPortal I'd choose an XBMC on XBox!!!

At the minute MediaPortal isn’t even a client to ‘a Mediaportal server’, so isn’t this thread jumping the gun a bit!

11. Dadeo
    • Premium Supporter

Dadeo Docs Group Manager

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Show System Specs
    I'm not sure why you would need TV Server if you only want Video and Music support but I don't know that much about the inner workings of Media Portal. Perhaps you could explain that to me?

I agree MVP is not the most technically advanced thin client, but at less than $100 it is an amazing little box that with some mods can do quite a lot. I would never want a thin client with a hard drive. Why pay more when you can link to network drives that can be easily upgraded? Yes, the MVP does lack the DVI/HDMI support as well as hardware decoding for DIVx, although it does stream them rather well.

I agree the other boxes you suggested are great, but at 2 and 3 times the price I am not sure they are worth it! Have you used them? What do you think the major advantages are that justify the cost? I am sincerely interested in your experiences, as it is the best way to learn.

The MVP already has a pretty large installed base, and as I mentioned is supported by a lot of the MediaCentre software out there.

Just imagine if MP supported the MVP and you could have all its power and functionality for $100 a room!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!