Poor TV picture compared with JRiver (1 Viewer)

Harry Cadders

Portal Member
August 18, 2011
Please can someone help me. Mediaportal is great, I love everything about it... except that when you compare the TV picture next to JRiver, Mediaportal is awful. I have been trailing JRiver for 3 weeks and in my opinion it doesn't touch mediaportal for skins, fan art or useability but the quality of tv on JRiver is awesome. I can put up with Mediaportal resizing itself on restart to two thirds of the size it should be (apparently this is windows issue when using a hdmi connection through an amp) or hanging on restart occasionally but the fact that the Jriver tv picture is sooo much better (and I haven't done anything to it - its the out of the box settings, I haven't even had to tinker). So how do i recreate the crisp and bright picture I get from Jriver on Mediaportal. Or how do I get the fan art, tv logos and neat layout I get from Mediaportal on Jriver?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you know which codecs Jriver is using you can set them in MediaPortal and you will have the same quality. But I believe Jriver is closed-source?!

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Copied from another forum :cool:

It would not surprise me if the PQ was much better in JRiver. I have only ever tried the music side of it and that has always been built for quality rather than usability. This is possibly using madVR as a renderer and other tweaks for PQ.

MP is designed for a fairly low common denominator (old XP systems) but from the JRiver Wiki I can see
    Video

MC uses Red October, JRiver's DirectShow management system to automatically download, install and configure the DirectShow filters you need. Under Tools/Options/Video, choose Red October Standard. Once you're sure that works well, you can try Red October HQ. ROHQ requires a fairly powerful PC.

ROHQ sounds like it might be applying upscaling, de-interlacing, madVR ......

(indeed ....
    Red October Standard -- MC16 automatically downloads, installs, and configures known good versions of LAV Splitter, and ffdshow. We build the graph and don't allow anything else. This results in video playback that just works.
    Red October HQ -- Same as above, but adding madVR as the renderer. This is more processor intensive, so it only works well on pretty good CPU's -- i5 or above.

LAV and FFDShow are fine inside MP so I would experiment there.

madVR however is not :( madVR does handle some of the colour space issues that using EVR you need to intervene with as well as being built for total quality.

Advice would be to set audio and video codecs to LAV and add FFDShow as post-processing filter as starting point.

After that I would look at the colourspace settings in LAV, FFDShow and GPU control panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom