Possible HTPC build - Some questions (1 Viewer)

marksasmadasafish

March 31, 2006
Thanks for the replies

markr

I mention no power supply as this will depend on the case but the current PSU I use for the system is 500W, so I will probably be looking at something in the same power rating.

2. I see know benefit of running Raid 1 other than data backup. All my music will also be on my desktop which has a Raid 1 array so theres no need to back them up again and once working I will disk image my windows/portal install. So I think that my second option of 200GB for apps/music/etc and then 120gb for TV card 1 and 120gb for TV card 2 is best (?).

Extra RAM????? 2GB not enough??

3. Fair enough!

4. Fair point but im not gonna buy a HD screen for several years.
I still only have a 28" non-widescreen TV (no LCD/Plasma :( )
In a few years time the HTPC will want upgrading anyway so I'll think about that then. Ive already ripped most (99.9%) of my CDs so its not a problem.

5. Mistake noted!

7. It'll have to be a cheap capture card as i already have the GFX card. I think Haupaugge (sp) have some cards that fit the bill.

I know about IR blasters but wasnt sure they worked with the NTl boxes. You say they do so thats good.

The zalman cooler can be run without a fan so "could" be silent but it has a 92mm fan which at low speed is quiet so thats taken care of.

ill get the psu when i find a case (some have psu?) but will be looking for a quiet on. On size isnt it better to have a slightly oversized psu as it will run cooler (thus quieter) than a psu nearing the limit of its output?

The size of case fans will be determined by the case.

The board im getting for dual core is £67ish. Its a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI.

I looked at MythTV too but my linux knowledge is pretty low and the support seams harder.

@ urev and NLS

As above I think I will dedicate one of the 120GB drives to each of the TV cards.

-------------------------------

So to summarise

Processor/Cooler/RAM/Mobo/graphics are OK!

Use the motherboard SPDIF to output audio to amp

I think I will bin the raid card and used the hard drives as follows
200GB OS/Apps/Music
120GB TV Card 1
120GB TV Card 2

2x Dvico HDTV Plus DVB-T (TV Card 1 & 2)
1x Hauppauge PVR150 (for recording form NTL)
IR balster to control NTL Cable TV box

Case required - Full ATX, full height, space for 3+ HD, 120mm Fans, IR port/VFD, pref silver and not too computer like, quiet PSU

I may buy a DVD-RW but not a priority (I've just spend £600 on upgrading my desktop, £300 on a windscreen LCD monitor and need to buy the parts above too!). I could always move one from another machine if needed.

Thanks again
Mark

** edited for typos

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
urev said:
NLS said:
you mean fragmented

oh, yes, sorry, of course.
Do you have any suggestions how to avoid fragmentation? (apart from using two partitions with the problem, that one partition is full and the other empty)

bye, urev

you can use an on-line defragmenter that works in idle hours

this of course means heavier use of your hard-disks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom