Possible Search problem (1 Viewer)

Mashenden

Portal Pro
January 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I always sign my posts with "mashenden" at the bottom. Am I incorrect in assuming that if I do a search to include all forums, the result should include all threads that I have participated in? It does not seem to do so.

Is there a better way to figure out if anyone has replied to questiosn that I post, as in some forums?

Example - If I search on the title of a post "Delete Picture Cache" that I sent today, the search engine finds the thread. If I search on "tried the steps that rekenaar suggested" which is a phrase wihtin my post, it finds the thread, but if I serach on "mashenden", which is also in the post, it does not find the thread/post.

Interestingly if I put a space and a random letter after my sig at the bottom (see below), then all work properly. I suspect the search engine is getting mislead by a HTML issue or End of File issue.

mashenden

l

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I always sign my posts with "mashenden" at the bottom.
    Nope, you didnt. Some have no sign, some just Mesh and so they do not show up while searching. Thats why you get different results when you search for last posts or your username (24 to 49)

Example - If I search on the title of a post "Delete Picture Cache" that I sent today, the search engine finds the thread. If I search on "mashenden", which is in the post, it does not.

search terms are shared for some minutes so if you search for "mashenden" several times you will still get the same results, even if somethings changed in between:

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Search took 0.03 seconds; generated 6 minute(s) ago.

"Delete Picture Cache" works fine here, it shows 2 threads atm. Maybe you got confused because it displays the title of the thread you posted in, not of your post? (Logo for Home-Menu?)

Mashenden

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Home Country
    I always sign my posts with "mashenden" at the bottom.
    Nope, you didnt. Some have no sign, some just Mesh and so they do not show up while searching. Thats why you get different results when you search for last posts or your username (24 to 49)

Right, you are. I should have said that I do this most of the time. Regardless, there were definitely posts with mashenden at the end that were not showing up in the search, then when I put a Return and some random letter following "mashenden", they did show up.

Regarding the next comment:
    ["Delete Picture Cache" works fine here, it shows 2 threads atm. Maybe you got confused because it displays the title of the thread you posted in, not of your post? (Logo for Home-Menu?)

Searching under Delete Picture Cache always worked fine for me too. I was not confusing the follow up title with the original post title.

It must be a timing thing as you suggested in the following quote

search terms are shared for some minutes so if you search for "mashenden" several times you will still get the same results, even if somethings changed in between:

Is there an easier way to look up recent posts that I submitted?

Mashenden

Mashenden

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Home Country
    Awesome. I added it to my Favorites.

Am I corrct in my assumptin that this function is not built into the forum tools somewhere and I just am missing it?

mashenden

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thats a normal forum function, can be found when you click your (or any) username inside a thread on the left -> Find More Posts by 'username'
    the same one when you open someones profile -> statistics -> Find all posts 'username'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom