Potential new user with DirecTV HD (1 Viewer)

rainking430

August 10, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi guys. Been looking for info on how to use MP to record from DirecTV HD, but need some clarification after all my forum searches. I found out about the fairly new SHEF plugin, which looks really useful but from what I've read it seems like it is used only to control a receiver. For recording to my PC do I still need to go the route of receiver > HD capture device > MP?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome rainking430! :)

...but from what I've read it seems like it is used only to control a receiver.
    Yes, that is correct.

For recording to my PC do I still need to go the route of receiver > HD capture device > MP?

As far as I know, yes. It is possible that Genpix tuners can be used to receive some DirecTV signals, however my understanding is that there is no legitimate or illegitimate way to decrypt the encrypted channels. Therefore you're stuck using the receiver to decrypt and a capture card to feed into a PC.

Having said that, I'm based in New Zealand so don't take my word as fact. ;)

mm

rainking430

August 10, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the kind welcome and great tips! Actually, search after search for how to use those genpix tuners for DirecTV isn't revealing much, so I guess you are right about being stuck with the encryption issue. Fortunately I found a thread over at the videohelp forums where users have been posting which hdmi switches bought at various online retailers strip the encryption when passing the signal through. Bought one that was still available on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom