Power Scheduler Advice (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am running a Server/Client setup in my living room (MP 1.2.1) and run a single Client only PC off this is the bedroom.

I am using Power Scheduler on both and have noticed that if I am watching TV via the Client only PC, I sometimes note that when I try to watch TV on the Server/Client, it tells me that the TV Service has been lost and asks me to rename the server.

This can be fixed by restarting the computer or double clicking the Mediaportal Configuration icon on the desktop and clicking yest to restarting the TV Service. The really annoying thing about this is that until I do this, nothing that has been scheduled to record has done so.

This only happens sometimes and I think that I might have narrowed it down to the fact that I am using Power Scheduler on both PCs.

Power Scheduler - MediaPortal Wiki

According to the Wiki, the Plugin that you can use only works on standalone setups (which explains why the problems only happens why I have been using the Client only PC).

What appears to be happening is that the Server wants to shut down but the Client stops and somehow messes this up and the TV Services is lost.

Am I right in thinking, then, that for anyone that is not using mediaportal on a single computer only (i.e. they using clients as well), they must use Power Scheduler ++ instead?

Thanks very much.

A

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Any takers for this?

I don't really want to start installing Power Scheduler++ unnecessarily if it is going to mess up my recordings.

Thanks

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

I am running a Server/Client setup in my living room (MP 1.2.1) and run a single Client only PC off this is the bedroom.

I am using Power Scheduler on both and have noticed that if I am watching TV via the Client only PC, I sometimes note that when I try to watch TV on the Server/Client, it tells me that the TV Service has been lost and asks me to rename the server.

This can be fixed by restarting the computer or double clicking the Mediaportal Configuration icon on the desktop and clicking yest to restarting the TV Service. The really annoying thing about this is that until I do this, nothing that has been scheduled to record has done so.

So, what you're saying is that occasionally the TV-server crashes but only after you have watched TV on the client? Or, in other words

1. Start watching TV on the client
2. Stop watching TV on the client and walk over to the living room
3. Try to watch TV on the server -> crash?

According to the Wiki, the Plugin that you can use only works on standalone setups (which explains why the problems only happens why I have been using the Client only PC).

I haven't used PS for about a year, but at least back then it worked just fine in multi-seat.

Am I right in thinking, then, that for anyone that is not using mediaportal on a single computer only (i.e. they using clients as well), they must use Power Scheduler ++ instead?

While I use PS++ with great success, as far as I know it shouldn't be needed.

I would suggest that you set your log levels to debug, try to reproduce the crash and then post logs from both the client and the server. If you can't reproduce it, just grab the logs the next time it happens.

//W

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Hi there,

Thanks for that - so you think that using the regular Power Scheduler Plugins are fine?

I think that the part of the Wiki that confused me was this bit:

"Currently the only fully supported setup is a single seat setup, meaning both the TV-service and MediaPortal are running on the same computer. Using the PowerScheduler TV-service plugin in a client/server setup, where MediaPortal runs on a different computer than the TV-service, is currently not yet supported. However, you can use the original PowerScheduler plugin for this."

What is the original PowerScheduler plugin?

really confused:eek:

I shall try and get some log information, as you suggested, for when it next crashes.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
As suggested, I have stuck with the original Power Scheduler and everything seems to be working fine. As you said, I don't actually need Power Scheduler++ after all.
Thanks very much for that.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I think that the part of the Wiki that confused me was this bit:

[...]

What is the original PowerScheduler plugin?

I understand your confusion. To be honest, I haven't got a clue what it means... ;)

As suggested, I have stuck with the original Power Scheduler and everything seems to be working fine. As you said, I don't actually need Power Scheduler++ after all.

Excellent!

//W

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom