Power Scheduler Exception / MP Fails to prevent Standby (1 Viewer)

nyt

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If this a singleseat setup with no tvserver, then cannot see why you do not use windows settings for power control, same as I do with a singleseat "ForTheRecord" powered tv service, this does not require any of the powerscheduler plugins to be enabled.

Also just as a side note, both mysleeptimer and Sleepcontrol plugins allow timed shutdown after media has stopped playing, ie my sleeptimer setting is 5 minutes, so when activated it will close MP when video\playlist finished or whatever you set in config after 5 minutes inactivity, and then the M$ power settings kick in, again mine set at 5 minutes then suspend.

As per all of the developers who have chimed in, mostly on irc, and arion above, mediaportal does not work with windows power settings, and it will put the pc to sleep during playback.

SleepControl plugin is bugged, and I have posted in that thread with no response yet.

mysleeptimer requires user interaction to start the sleep timer. Neither of these fix the issue at hand. SleepControl was close, if it wasn't bugged.

<ronilse> yeah, we really do, it should work as a standalone so most probably a logic somewhere missing....
    <nyt> seco: how would windows power configuration do anything
    <nyt> in win32api.cs
    <nyt> theres PreventMonitorPowerdown
    <nyt> and it's never called
    <nyt> eiother modify powerscheduler plugin to work by itself with mediaportal, or adjust mediaportal to prevent standby on its own
    <nyt> either would be a workable solution, #2 probably easier
    <nyt> that way windows power management can just do the work
    <ronilse> PS Plugin should work as standalone & it did some time back
    <nyt> yes
    <arion_p> [11:24] <nyt> eiother modify powerscheduler plugin to work by itself with mediaportal, or adjust mediaportal to prevent standby on its own <<-- ideally we would like to do both, but the later has some complications
    <nyt> ah hi arion =]
    <nyt> what are the complications with the later?
    <arion_p> for one it needs some reworks, because continuous/display required flags are per thread
    <arion_p> so we need a separate thread to handle that
    <arion_p> also there needs to be a central componet to handle all power states and keep track of what other components are requesting
    <nyt> is there ever a case when you would want MP to go into standby during playback?
    <arion_p> it should also be able to recover from misbehaving components (e.g. video player crashes and never informs that playback has stopped)
    <arion_p> [11:28] <nyt> is there ever a case when you would want MP to go into standby during playback? <<-- nope nut there are other cases too
    <arion_p> during playback you don't want screensaver either
    <nyt> well if mp never needs to sleep during playback, what would the drawbacks be to setting dispalyrequired/continuous flags on the player thread?
    <arion_p> there is no player thread per se
    <arion_p> the problem is when player stops and needs to inform system that it no longer need the screen (so screen saver is allowed) not the system so it can go to sleep
    <arion_p> but other component may want to prevent the system from going to sleep
    <arion_p> you need a central component that can coordinate those
    <nyt> well if something else wants to prevent sleep, currently nothing will stop it
    <nyt> its a bit late for me, i just dont see what the issue is with setting display required at playback start, and removing at playback stop
    <arion_p> if one component says thread x can go to sleep and another component says thread x cannot go to sleep, what will happen depend on which component has the last say
    <arion_p> resulting in a mess
    <arion_p> and a hard to spot bug
    <nyt> ah
    <nyt> i see
    <nyt> you can spawn a thread during playback, and kill it during stop
    <nyt> that holds the flags
    <nyt> that might get messy though
    <nyt> i guess fixing powerscheduler is the best bet
    <arion_p> that was my point too :)
    <nyt> power scheduler mostly works, it'd just be some code copying from the tvplugin to the mp plugin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom