PowerScheduler Extension Script (fileserver features) (1 Viewer)

nicx

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

i am using my central HTPC in the livingroom as a fileserver for all clients, so there are some needed features which I am missing so far.

- Wakeup the HTPC if a client goes online
- Keep the HTPC running if a client is online or different other terms are fullfilled
- Automatically go to standby if no client is running
- Send server to standby even if ther is network traffic (for example filesharing tools)

Most of this I can do with the MP integrated Powerscheduler, but not all ;) So I have created the attached VBS Script which can do:

- Monitoring of local processes
- Monitoring of PC names or IPs (online or not)
- Monitoring a Folder (Files existent or not)
- Monitoring a cmd program output (for example a portquery: is a remote port listening or not?)

If one of this term is fulfilled the script will automatically configure the Powerscheduler not to go to sleep, if none is fulfilled Powerscheduler will send the HTPC to sleep.

Installation on the server side:
- Configure Mediaportal DB parameters in the script
- Configure needed terms in the script (client ip's, ...)
- Create a task on the Server-HTPC which starts the VBS script every user logon or on system start
- Configure the network card energy parameters to wake up only by administratorstation packets (wol packets)

Installation on the client side:
- Configure the server MAC in the cmd-File
- Copy wol.exe and wol.cmd to c:\programme\wol\
- Put a link of wol.cmd to your Autostart folder

That's it :) Now the client is starting the server automatically and the script keeps the server up as long as the client is running or because of other configured terms. For me this is the perfect solution for using the HTPC as a fileserver for all my clients.

Regards,
nicx...

Attachments

• PowerScheduler.zip
    30.6 KB

spitjo

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Udine
Home Country
Italy Italy
Sounds very useful tool
Unfortunately the whole script comments are in German and some terms are not translated by google translate.
This makes this good script totally useless for most of us.... :confused:
Making a english commented version should be a VERY GOOD idea... ;)

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: PowerScheduler Extension Script (fileserver features)

Is this script working with MP 1.1 and Win7?

Hi,

i am using my central HTPC in the livingroom as a fileserver for all clients, so there are some needed features which I am missing so far.

- Wakeup the HTPC if a client goes online
    - Keep the HTPC running if a client is online or different other terms are fullfilled
    - Automatically go to standby if no client is running
    - Send server to standby even if ther is network traffic (for example filesharing tools)

Most of this I can do with the MP integrated Powerscheduler, but not all ;) So I have created the attached VBS Script which can do:

- Monitoring of local processes
    - Monitoring of PC names or IPs (online or not)
    - Monitoring a Folder (Files existent or not)
    - Monitoring a cmd program output (for example a portquery: is a remote port listening or not?)

If one of this term is fulfilled the script will automatically configure the Powerscheduler not to go to sleep, if none is fulfilled Powerscheduler will send the HTPC to sleep.

Installation on the server side:
    - Configure Mediaportal DB parameters in the script
    - Configure needed terms in the script (client ip's, ...)
    - Create a task on the Server-HTPC which starts the VBS script every user logon or on system start
    - Configure the network card energy parameters to wake up only by administratorstation packets (wol packets)

Installation on the client side:
    - Configure the server MAC in the cmd-File
    - Copy wol.exe and wol.cmd to c:\programme\wol\
    - Put a link of wol.cmd to your Autostart folder

That's it :) Now the client is starting the server automatically and the script keeps the server up as long as the client is running or because of other configured terms. For me this is the perfect solution for using the HTPC as a fileserver for all my clients.

Regards,
    nicx...

jtw

Portal Member
    October 12, 2009
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hallo nicx,

funktioniert dein Script auch noch mit den aktuellen Versionen von MP und Powerscheduler?
    Was muss ich bei 'Configure Mediaportal DB parameters in the script' beachten?

your script also working with the aktual versions of MP and Powerscheduler?
    What's to do at 'Configure Mediaportal DB parameters in the script'?

MfG JTW

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    sorry, keine ahnung ob das noch funktioniert. nutze mediaportal schon seit jahren nicht mehr... bin jetzt mac bzw. xbmc/plex user ;)

gruss
    nicx...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi.
    Das meiste ist inzwischen im PowerSheduler ++ integriert. Das WOL Client Script ist auch weiterhin nötig, um den Server aufzuwecken, wenn man einen anderen PC startet und kein MP laufen lässt. Das ist aber nur eine 2 Zeilen Batch... Ich kann meinen Server sogar direkt aus MP heraus aufwecken und auch gezielt schlafen legen, mit Multishortcut... ich habe allerdings einen extra Fileserver im Keller stehen. Der wäre mir im Wohnzimmer viel zu laut. Der TV Server ist aber im Wohnzimmer- HTPC, da nur dort die SAT Kabel liegen...

jtw

Portal Member
    October 12, 2009
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi Lehmden,
    habe auch den Server im Keller...

Das mit dem WakeOnLAN ist auch kein Thema.

Aber wie sag ich PowerScheduler++ das es nicht einschlafen soll,
    solange 192.168.0.50 noch im Netz ist ??????????

MfG JTW

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi.
    Du hast doch bestimmt ein Share eingerichtet, oder? Das kann man doch von PS++ überwachen lassen, wenn der Server grundsätzlich wach bleiben soll, so lange du deinen Computer an hast. Falls du kein Share eingerichtet hast, kannst du ja einen leeren Ordner freigeben...

Ich hab meinen Fileserver so konfiguriert, das er nach 30 Minuten automatisch schlafen geht und per WOL wieder geweckt werden kann. Ganz allein mit Windows Boardmitteln. Läuft ja auch kein MP drauf. 30 Minuten reichen immer. Idelt er länger herum, ist es kein Nachteil, das er schlafen geht. Wenn ich weiß, das ich den Server nicht mehr brauche, schicke ich ihn mit einem Mausklick (oder per Multishortcut aus MP heraus) schlafen, um die 30 Minuten nicht abwarten zu müssen. Das geht wunderbar mit psshutdown. Schließlich sind dort 14 HDD am laufen. Das kostet mir zu viel Strom, um den unnötig lange am laufen zu haben. Auch wenn die meisten Platten gar nicht aktiv sind, da ja immer nur 2 oder 3 gleichzeitig gebraucht werden. (Auch Windows Boardmittel)

Mit WOL.exe, psshutdown.exe Multishortcut plugin, WOLPowerManager Plugin, NetworkDriveReconnector Plugin und PowerSheduler++ Plugin habe ich das Ganze voll automatisiert und trotzdem die komplette manuelle Kontrolle behalten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom