Powerscheduler vs PVR Scheduler? (1 Viewer)

voxmortis

Portal Member
May 19, 2005
Sydney, Straya.
I couldn't get the included PowerScheduler to wake my PC from S3 in order to record... should it? Or am I assuming to much and making an ass out of u and ming?

So, what does PVR Scheduler give me? I've downloaded it from the German site, and it looks pretty funky.... just hoping it wakes up to record!

Would've been nice to get the MP PowerScheduler to work... oh well.

Also, anyone else seen that if you set your AGP to 4x instead of 8x (using RivaTuner - long story, to do with Nvidia hating my Gigabyte motherboard), that after you manually wake from S3, it reset itself to AGP 8x, and the card goes back to giving my glitches and crashes?!

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have used both PowerScheduler and PVR Scheduler, and I highly recommend PVR Scheduler.

It reliably wakes my PC for a recording, re-starts MP (good to avoid DVB-T driver issues), shuts down MP at the end of the recording, and then quietly puts the PC to sleep (S3) again.

I also use it to wake my PC early on Fridays to grab the next week's EPG data.

And, I use it to run a job that turns my power amplifiers on just after startup/resume, and then turn them off again just before standby/shutdown, to avoid "thumps" through my sound system. I am intending to extend that to control my projector automagically, too!

As I said before, its a great program that I highly recommend.... :D

MediaTobiPortal

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2004
    So I also have used both, but I recommend using MPs PowerScheduler.

Why ??? Because PVR scheduler has Porblems with everyday on every/this channel recordings. I use this feature very much so I´m not using PVR scheduler anymore. The advanteges of PVR scheduler postet by Taipan are really importend ones but.....

Taipan, could you test if your PVR scheduler works with everyday on every/this channel recordings and tell me the result please. If it´s working I´ll switch back to PVR scheduler again.

Thanks Tobi

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I also stopped using PVR Scheduler because it couldn't understand "every time on this channel" which is pretty much everything that I ever use.

I would be very interested if it is now working but at the same time, power scheduler works well at waking up my PC and because I don't need the extra bells and whistles then it just makes things more complicated for me.

To the OP, what problems did you have with powerscheduler?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It looks like the "daily/weekly" problem has been fixed in version 1.3.0 of PVR Scheduler. I haven't actually completed 2 weekly recordings to verify that the bug is fixed, but PVR Scheduler does now acknowledge that it is a recurring scheduled recording.

I suppose that I could test it with a "daily" schedule....so I don't have to wait for a week to find out?

Stay tuned - I will let you know in a day or so.... :)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Mmmm - I just did a bit more testing of PVR Scheduler and it seems to handle "Record every day at this time" and "Record every week at this time" OK.

But, if I select "Record everytime on this channel", it just treats it as a "once" schedule initially. So, I am not sure that when I update the EPG with next week's schedule, that PVR Scheduler will then pick up subsequent occurrences of the program and add them to the schedule. This is going to take some more time to test, as it is not a feature that I have ever used.

I should add that I abandoned PowerScheduler because of bugs a while back (~6 months ago) where it would put the PC back to standby after 5 minutes and issues with MP hanging on a black screen at wakeup. I guess that these problems have since been fixed?

R

RasterBurn

Does PVR Scheduler support using the TV guide from the DVB stream or does it require you to use XMLTV ? I currently collect all my TV Guide information from the DVB stream and this seems to work well.

I have been (attempting) to use the Mp Scheduler, but with little success as when my machine wakes up from standby MediaPortal is just left with a blank screen!

MediaTobiPortal

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2004
    Thanks a lot for your testing Taipan !!!

You desribe exactly what I found out aswell.

You wrote:"But, if I select "Record everytime on this channel", it just treats it as a "once" schedule initially."

When I last time tested PVR scheduler I schudeled "Record everytime on this channel" on for example Monday. It was treated as "once". The recording on Monday took place, but on Tuesday my PC didn´t wake up.
    I´m waiting for your next testresult. We will know if PVR Scheduler works fine, when we found out if it wakes up for recording on the next day.

Thank you once more,

Tobi

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, I can confirm that "Record every time on this channel" works fine. PVR Scheduler creates a separate schedule for every occurance of the program that exists in the EPG. For example, I selected a program that occurred on every day of the week, and my EPG goes out 9 days, so PVR Scheduler had 9 separate entries for that program.

I am referring to version 1.3.2 of PVR Scheduler, in these tests.

So, I can confirm that all the recording options available in MediaPortal are handled correctly by PVR Scheduler, and I still highly recommend this application... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom