[confirm] Powerscheduler won't let the system standby (1 Viewer)

Stepko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2007
    Hamburg/Wolfsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

since 1.2.0 the Powerscheduler prevents the system to go into standby when I press the standby-button on the remote or the power-button on the pc. This happens when MP is running and not in Homescreen or when a program is running that prevents the Powerscheduler to shut down the pc.

In my setup I use IRSS with a MCE remote. The translator of IRSS is configured to standby the system when the Power-Button of the remote is pressed. Windows is configured to standby the system when the power-button is pressed. The Powerscheduler server is configured to standby the system after 10 minutes, but not when winamp, firefox, thunderbird or picasa is running. I attached some screenshots of my config. All powersaving options in windows are disabled.

When one of these applications is running and I press the power-button, the display is switched off, the sound is switched off, but the system keeps running (power led stays on, fans keep spinning). When I watch live TV and press the power-button the live TV is recored (timeshift file) while the system should be off.

Attached you will find 2 log archives. The first is log_error.zip. After a reboot I didn't start MP, but winamp was started. I waited untill 18:08:00h and pressed the power-button on the remote. The display and sound were switched of, but the system kept running. After one minute I pressed the power-button again and display and sound were switched on again.
    The second file is log_works.zip, which is almost the same. System rebooted, MP not started but this time winamp also not started. Waited until 18:15:06h, pressed the power-button and the system went into standby correctly. After one minute I powered the system up again and collected the logs.

I have this problem since 1.2.0, with 1.1.0 everything was working with the same setup.

Beside this problme the powerscheduler works good on my system. The pc is shutdown correctly after 10 minutes and is started for recordings and epg grabs.

:D for your help
    Stepko

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 Alpha
    MediaPortal Skin: Fidelity
    Windows Version: Win7
    CPU Type: AMD X2 3400+
    HDD: OCZ Vertex 64GB, Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Memory: 3GB, DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    Video Card: ati HD5450
    Video Card Driver: 10.9
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC889A
    Sound Card AC3: optical out
    Sound Card Driver: ??
    1. TV Card: Mediaportal IPTV
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-IP
    1. TV Card Driver: my modified version
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffshow
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: MS DTV
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Antec Fusion buildin
    Remote: MS MCE
    TV: Toshiba 42RV555D
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Attachments

• client1.jpg
      client1.jpg
      70 KB
    • client2.jpg
      client2.jpg
      65.3 KB
    • server1.jpg
      server1.jpg
      96.1 KB
    • server2.jpg
      server2.jpg
      86.8 KB
    • log_error.zip
      9.3 KB
    • log_works.zip
      8.2 KB

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Powerscheduler won't let the system standby

The described behavour of the system (display is switched off, the sound is switched off) when tying to suspend it is called "away mode". Since 1.2.0 every action that should prevent standby in PowerScheduler (e.g. recording, processes running, network activity) does not only prevent a system idle timeout but forces the system into away mode if the user tries to shut it down or to put it in standby. Away mode means that the sound and display are switched off, so that the user has the illusion that the system is shut off, but in the background it keeps running.
    This is useful while the system is recording, because it prevents a user from switching off the system as long as the recording is going on. But I think it is not useful in other situations, e.g. when the system is grabbing EPG, because the user should be able to shut his machine off, if he/she wants to do so. So the use of away mode should be configurabel for each PowerScheduler prevent standby event (EPG, Recording, processse, network, etc.). You may have a look at PowerScheduler++, a replacement for PowerScheduler that adresses these issues...

Michael

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I can confirm this, have to check if it's something that was intended..

Regards
    Roy

Stepko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2007
    Hamburg/Wolfsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Powerscheduler won't let the system standby

michael_t: Thanks for the tipp to use powerscheduler++. This plugin works like a charm for me. It shuts down when I press the power button :D Will test it the next days to see if everything works.

Is it intended that the pc doesn't go into standby if live TV is on?

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Stepko - uncheck "Only allow standby when on home window" then you will see it works a expected.

Stepko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2007
    Hamburg/Wolfsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Powerscheduler won't let the system standby

Stepko - uncheck "Only allow standby when on home window" then you will see it works a expected.

Sure, that would work. But it wouldn't work if I want the htpc to shut down automatically only if it is in home screen. And that would also not fix the problem that it goes into away mode when an application like firefox is running.

For me this behavior doesn't sound like it is intended. I would say that this is a bug. When I press the powerbutton it must go into standby. The only exception would be a recording in progress.

Stepko

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom