Preinstall questions (1 Viewer)

dinki

Portal Member
June 7, 2006
A little background: I've been using PC PVR software since around 1998-1999 when I was running Snapstream using an ATI TV Wonder VE. I ran that for a while and even did a bit of beta testing for them. In '03 I switched to MythTV (KnoppMyth distro) which I ran until March of this year. I really like the growth that MythTV showed, but the constant battle I had with Linux every time a new version of the KnoppMyth distro came out and any time I would 'upgrade' a component really left a bad taste in my mouth. I finally gave up and decided to go back to a Windows based PVR. I chose GBPvr and on a whole I am pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, the core is closed source and seeing what happened with Meedio I'm thinking that I might want to be with an open source solution instead. I am also at the mercy of the author when it comes to features added, quirks fixed, etc. Don't get me wrong, he does a great job, but there are some nuaisnaces that I'd like to be without.

Phew! Sorry for the longwinded intro, but I thought it might be helpful. What I'd like to know is:

(a) if my system has enough of the right components to run Media Portal without problem:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5APro, 512 meg SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9000 Svid Out, Western Digital 120 gig 7200 rpm, Hauppauge 150MCE, Hauppauge 150 NonMCE, Homemade Serial IR Receiver (Running WinLirc and IREx to send virtual keystrokes)

and

(b) if MP can do any/all of the following:

1) Handle multiple inputs on a single capture card. I have both basic cable and DirecTV. On one of my PVR150's I have both cable (via tuner) and DirecTV (via composite video in and rca audio in) connected. The scheduler can then record/display one or the other depending on the need. This is really important to me.
2) Schedule and manage upcoming recordings via a web interface.
3) Stream recorded programs via web interface
4) View internet streaming video/audio. I have a web cam set up in my infant daughter's crib and it keeps mom and dad from having to get up in the middle of the night to check on her. I know.. Lazy! ;)
5) Control all functions via keyboard presses. I've got my homebrew serial port IR receiver grabbing IR signals using WinLirc then passing that on to IREx which changes the WinLirc information into 'virtual' key presses
6) Ability to control a DirectTV via serial port (for change channels).

Thanks for putting up with my longwinded post!

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi dinki,

A little reading the docs and searching in the forum would find most of your answers.

dinki said:
    (a) if my system has enough of the right components to run Media Portal without problem:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5APro, 512 meg SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9000 Svid Out, Western Digital 120 gig 7200 rpm, Hauppauge 150MCE, Hauppauge 150 NonMCE, Homemade Serial IR Receiver (Running WinLirc and IREx to send virtual keystrokes)

and

(b) if MP can do any/all of the following:

1) Handle multiple inputs on a single capture card. I have both basic cable and DirecTV. On one of my PVR150's I have both cable (via tuner) and DirecTV (via composite video in and rca audio in) connected. The scheduler can then record/display one or the other depending on the need. This is really important to me.
    2) Schedule and manage upcoming recordings via a web interface.
    3) Stream recorded programs via web interface
    4) View internet streaming video/audio. I have a web cam set up in my infant daughter's crib and it keeps mom and dad from having to get up in the middle of the night to check on her. I know.. Lazy! ;)
    5) Control all functions via keyboard presses. I've got my homebrew serial port IR receiver grabbing IR signals using WinLirc then passing that on to IREx which changes the WinLirc information into 'virtual' key presses
    6) Ability to control a DirectTV via serial port (for change channels).

a) the ATI 9000 could be a problem. Search and read up on DX9.

b)

1) Yes
    2) Yes: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortalPlugins/MPWebInterface
    3) No
    4) I don't know. I think so.
    5) Yes direct support for WinLIRC: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortalSetup_Remote
    6) Yes: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=11511&highlight=direct

dinki

Portal Member
    June 7, 2006
    James said:
    A little reading the docs and searching in the forum would find most of your answers.

Sorry. I did read over the FAQ and looked at the wiki a bit before posting.

James said:
    a) the ATI 9000 could be a problem. Search and read up on DX9.

I know that this card does work using the VMR9 setting under GBPvr. I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not. I suppose that's easy enough to fix by buying another video card (although I'm not crazy about spending even more money on the box! ;) )

I guess I could just bind a launch of mplayer to the webcam stream to a remote key if MP would play nice with mplayer being on top and then regaining the focus once mplayer exits (also via remote 'escape key' send).

I know the GBPvr guys are using VLC server to stream the recorded programs via the web interface. I guess that'd be a pretty good project to pick up if I decide to get my hands dirty.

Thanks for the speedy response...

Oh, one last thing. If anyone knows, should I be able to install MP on the same machine GBPvr is installed on? I know I'd have to shut the other program down to be able to ensure that MP can use the hardware, but what I'm asking is if it would be unwise to try and put the two together on the same machine (albeit never running at the same time)?

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    dinki said:
    ...4) View internet streaming video/audio. I have a web cam set up in my infant daughter's crib and it keeps mom and dad from having to get up in the middle of the night to check on her. I know.. Lazy!...

dinki - There is a plugin being worked on to allow webcam video. It isn't ready yet to even be a beta.

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm running a k7s5a pro with 640Mb of ram tinyxp with MP as the shell with an oced to 2.2 GHz, cheepoman BIOS on th K7s5a pro. runs nice, although sometimes it could do with a little more oomph. I would say that under normal usage it is perfectly adequate. You should have a very usable system. Having said that, in keeping with the laws of geekdom I will be upgrading mine to a sempron 3100 I have in another machine shortly.

dinki

Portal Member
    June 7, 2006
    I got it set up and it seems to work quite nice. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to set up the DirecTV channels (via composite video in).

I'm not sure if I'm blind, but I'm having trouble finding the answers to my questions on the wiki. Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom