[NVIDIA] Preventing Nvidia from enabling a virtual desktop (1 Viewer)

madcart

Portal Member
January 20, 2011
Home Country
England England
Sometimes when my PC comes out of standby and the (HDMI) TV is off,
when i switch the TV on i find that the resolution has been switched to 600x400.

However XP is now using a virtual desktop of 1920x1080 (the original resolution), and the desktop pans as my mouse reaches the edge of the screen.

If I query the resolution, XP tells me it is 1920x1080. Setting the resolution to this value has no effect - I actually have to change the resolution to a new setting, and then back again to 1920x1080.

I assume that things go awry when the graphics card querys the plug-and-play TV for available resolutions. With the TV off it reverts to the default resolution, with this crazy panning behavior.

Has anyone else seen this or know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

MdFolter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2005
    Breugel
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi there,

Can you give me some feed back whether or not this solution worked. I am facing the same issues.

Regards,
    Marcel

madcart

Portal Member
    January 20, 2011
    Home Country
    England England
    Disabling the driver helper service didn't prevent the resolution from reverting, and also seemed to prevent the display from coming back when i came out of S3 sleep most times. The system was running in the background - just no display output.
    Resume from sleep is very unreliable for me tho, so it could be a co-incidence. I havent managed to test after reenabling the service yet..

madcart

Portal Member
    January 20, 2011
    Home Country
    England England
    MDFolter -

I'm currently forcing the correct resolution by using this command line tool (dccmd.exe):
    12noon :: Display Changer

However i found that when the problem occurs, running dccmd.exe with the correct resolution has no effect because the system believes it is already at this resolution, and so does nothing.

So I have a script that runs dccmd.exe twice - once to set the resolution away from the correct resolution (i just change the refresh rate) and again to set it back to the correct resolution. This forces the correct resolution.

I trigger this script to run whenever the system comes out of sleep (using TVService's powerscheduler, but u could use anything similar) and its been fine so far.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Madcart - would you like to attach the script so that other people can see how to do it ? (just hit the 'Go Advanced' button below for the file upload options)

Tony

madcart

Portal Member
    January 20, 2011
    Home Country
    England England
    sure - .bat files weren't attachable, so i just pasted the contents here instead.

Change the width, height, color depth and refresh rate as below.
    Note that I change the display twice to 'force' the resolution to be updated.

Code:
    @echo off

rem http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm
    rem sets the display to the correct resolution
    rem if the hdmi display is disconnected, then sometimes the resolution reverts to 600x400

rem "c:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dccmd.exe" -listmonitors

"c:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dccmd.exe" -monitor="\\.\DISPLAY1" -primary -width=1280 -height=720 -depth=32 -refresh=50
    "c:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dccmd.exe" -monitor="\\.\DISPLAY1" -primary -width=1280 -height=720 -depth=32 -refresh=60

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom