[Help Us!] Problem with MP but I can't be bothered explaining it & the logs don't show anything (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Okay, you just knew this was going to be sarcastic, but I am responding to the fact that there are now 10 threads in this section of the forum but only 3 of them have log files, and in at least one case that is after they were requested.

I am sure the team are delighted by everyone's enthusiasm (I only speak for myself), but the log files always provide useful information in the event of a problem. Sure, the logs may not contain any errors. That in itself it important. It tells us what is working. It tells us that the code has not caught an exception, or an unforseen error.

And please describe the problem clearly. Explain what you were trying to do. Explain what you expected to happen and what actually happened. It may be that what you expect is not actually what should happen (but this could still be something that should be 'fixed' - just not technically a bug).

In short, please please please follow the bug reporting guidelines and you will make MediaPortal better than it already is.

Alternatively if you keep filing incomplete and unclear bug reports, it will be harder for the team to locate the real bugs among the noise and there is a chance that a serious bug will remain unfixed.

Please don't be offended by this post. The easiest thing for me to do is to delete all threads without logs attached. While this is the team policy, it is also a good way to remove a report of a real problem. Please continue to report your problems, but do it in a way that will allow the team to fix them.

Best wishes,

Mark

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: Problem with MP but I can't be bothered explaining it & the logs don't show anyth

And please, please, please add some steps to reproduce like you would explain it to a 5-year old. E.g.
    1. Start MediaPortal Configuration,
    2. click here,
    3. click there,
    4. click this button,
    5. observe this behavior,
    6. click that button,
    7. observe this bug.

This really helps in understanding what the bug is, and how to reproduce it.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Re: Problem with MP but I can't be bothered explaining it & the logs don't show anyth

Bumping this, since people are still not getting the message.

Please don't make this thread sticky. We already have a sticky thread giving the same message, so no sense having two in the same place.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

There are still threads appearing with no logs. Clearly some people know better than the developers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom