Problem with multi disc albums. (1 Viewer)

aherbjornsen

Portal Member
August 7, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have several albums that span more than one CD.

Currently I've tagged all of these with the track id from the CD, and used the "Disc #" to indicate with CD they are on. Then I've placed all the tracks in the same directory, giving the names like <disc id><track id>-<title>.mp3. This will give me a list like this:

0101 - <title>.mp3
0102 - <title>.mp3
<.....>
0118 - <title>.mp3
0201 - <title>.mp3
0202 - <title>.mp3

Is there a way to get this to work in MediaPortal? Currently it does not seem to read the disc id tag, causing the tracks to be listed and played in the wrong order, i.e.:

01 - <title>.mp3
01 - <title>.mp3
02 - <title>.mp3
02 - <title>.mp3

I can of course retag all these albums with incremental track numbers for all CDs manually, but doing so would be a pain.

Anders

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    no, we're not the disc # from the tags yet.
    it's on my todo list, but i don't know, when i'll be able to do it.

aherbjornsen

Portal Member
    August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    no, we're not the disc # from the tags yet.
    it's on my todo list, but i don't know, when i'll be able to do it.

I downloaded the source and made a couple of small changes (see attached patch). Works ok for me, but might step on something critical that I don't know about.

DJTachyon

Portal Member
    April 11, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a similar issue but I would like to handle is differently.

I have a lot of multi-disc "compilation albums". These albums all have the same name but different "album artists" for each album. Now if I edit the "genre" and "album" view to sort by album, then album artist, then track, that works great. But for all the other albums in my collection that are one CD, example: Green Day - Dookie. I have to click on Dookie and then on Green Day to get to the album.

Any thoughts?

DJTachyon

Portal Member
    April 11, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    THat's the way it is. don't kow how i should hande it differently.

Well how XP MCE handles it is that it treats every unique "AlbumName/AlbumArtist" as a separate album. This does solve this issue, but then if you have 4 Album Artists for 4 discs on one album, you get 4 album listings.

In the best case, I would like to see different Album Artists on an Album treated as "sub-albums" or "discs" of the main album. How does Media Portal/the above fix treat "discs" of multi-cd albums as it is? Does it create sub-albums with their own art or what?

I have all my albums sorted as such:
    Single Disc:
    Genre\Album\[sometimes artist] - tracknumber - trackname.mp3
    Multi-Disc:
    Genre\Album\Disc\[sometimes artist] - tracknumber - trackname.mp3
    Multi-Disc Compilation:
    Genre\Album\AlbumArtist\tracknumber - trackartist - trackname.mp3

Any thoughts?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    1. we look at the AlbumArtist
    2. If you have "Treat Folder as Album"flag checked and we find different artists in this folder, then we treat it as a various artist album. If you don't have the AlbumARtist set forthis folder, it'll appear as "Various Artists"

we don't care about folder structure. it is only the TAG that is of interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom