Problems with client connection after 1.0.2 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

dklong

Portal Member
May 28, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Folks

I have been running MediaPortal (with both TV-Server and MediaPortal as a client running on the same PC) since October 08 and it has changed the way my family and I watch TV... all for the better! :)

I have recently been looking at setting up a second MediaPC in the house as just a client talking to the main TV-Server. I installed the same version of MP on the client that I had installed on the main PC and it worked like a dream! This was all using V1.0.0.0 RC2 as it turns out.

I have however had intermittent issues with the original setup which were usually resolved by closing the client and restarting it so, when I recently saw that 1.0.2 had been released, I thought I'd try out the latest as it undoubtedly had a bunch of minor bugs fixed.

I initially installed it on the 'Client Only' PC as a test but found that once this was done the client couldn't even find the server anymore. I figured this wasn't unreasonable given the version difference so bit the bullet and tried to upgrade my main media PC as well. This required uninstalling both TV-Server and MediaPortal and then installing 1.0.2 from scratch. After a few configuration tweaks the main PC works fine and we can do everything we could before... along with a snazzy new interface. The whole thing seems quicker too! All good so far. :)

Unfortunately, the 'client-only' PC still had problems. It had improved in that it could now see the server, and would happily list the program guide or previously recorded shows. This suggests that it is talking to the database OK.

Unfortunately, when I try and play anything... either live TV or pre-recorded shows, it justs seems to hang. There is no network traffic occuring and it requires Task Manager to kill the client. The network configuration hasn't changed since it was working earlier and neither PC has Windows firewall turned on. They are also all inside the firewall on the router.

I can undoubtedly go back to the previous version and get it going again but would prefer to move forward if possible. Has anybody else got 1.0.2 going in a multi-seat install? If so , were there any tricks?

Thanks in advance

DL

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there shouldn't be any issues like you are seeing. What I would recommend to do is to check the log files and see if there are any issues that show up there.

start MP on the client, and go straight to a TV program and try to watch it. Then stop MP so you only have the bare data in the log.

If you don't see anything of use there yourself, then follow the details on posting a support issue (IE, all data and logs, etc) and post back in this thread. Odds are, someone else will have seen this before.

Cheers,
    Marcus.

dklong

Portal Member
    May 28, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Log files Attached

Thanks for the comments Marcus.

I've looked at the log files and unfortunately couldn't see anything that was obviously wrong so I've attached them to this note.

As an additional test, I checked the 'TV Streams' list on the server PC after I'd attempted to play the show. It showed the client PC as connected. Seems as though the client is talking to the server process OK... it just isn't seeing any data streamed to it... Very confusing.

I'm sure someone out there must be running a multi-seat with 1.0.2 so it is bound to be something simple I am doing wrong! :)

Thanks again

David

dklong

Portal Member
    May 28, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Same Issue with MPTV Client

Interestingly, I get the same sort of problem if I try and connect to the Sever with MPTVClient. Either WMP or VLC just sit there waiting for a stream that doesn't come.

Suggests that I've stuffed up the server install somehow...even though the client on the same box connects OK.

Hmmmm....

dklong

Portal Member
    May 28, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh well.... Perhaps there aren't any people running 1.0.2 as a remote client.

I've reloaded RC2 and will wait till a later version to try again.

Thanks

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom