Problems with new HDD in Fusion Case (1 Viewer)

Phil W

Portal Member
October 1, 2007
Hi,
Had my HTPC up and running for a few months and it worked brilliantly for its main purpose which was watching DVD 'Srunk' movies via 'MyMovies'. Then filled up the 500Gb HD and bought another one, a Samsung Spinpoint from eBuyer (500Gb again).

Because I already have 2 drives in the Antec Fusion case I mounted it above the optical drive, and used a power convertor to get SATA power to it from the normal 4pin molex (its also a splitter, the other end powering the optical drive which works fine)

Now the problem, I copied a whole load of material to it, I can navigate through the folders ok, but as soon as I select something it takes at least a couple of minutes to start playing!! I've tried playing the files from my desktop machine across the LAN and they load straight away (and from within the HTPC using WMP) so the issue would appear to be within MP, but I can't see any obvious setting I could have got wrong!

Any ideas from anyone gratefully received! I will try some more diagnostics tonight, like playing something thats been 'shrunk' straight to it rather than copied from another drive etc.

Cheers
Phil

visteon

Portal Pro
October 19, 2007
Maybe a corrupt database file. I had similar problems.

Backup the database files in
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\database
then delete them. They will be recreated. Try restoring individual files if the problem goes away to see which is corrupt.

Phil W

Portal Member
October 1, 2007
Visteon,
this certainly sounds feasable - one thing I did miss out (which I didn't think was relevant but could be now) is that the first HD I got was faulty...would let me copy stuff to it but then not play it at all, then couldn't cut and paste off the drive, or reformat it!! (luckily it would let me copy and paste and then delete!!!). Just have to say this was replaced by eBuyer very easily and at no cost to me! But in all the shananigans that went on it might well have got corrupted! (it was the same set of files that got copied to the old HD and wouldn't play at all, that have now been copied to the new one and take an age to play!)

But...I can backup the database file no problem, but what do you mean by 'delete them' and 'they will be recreated' ?? I've never looked inside this database file so it might be obvious (!) but could you just expand a bit :D

Cheers
Phil

Phil W

Portal Member
October 1, 2007
Visteon,
that didn't work! but it did give me a bit more insight into the workings of MP so I thank you for that!

I even backed up my currect installation and started from scratch...same problem...so I took the decision to reformat over the top of the data ('bout 200Gb worth of DVD's!). When that eventually finished I copied a film across from the old drive and it played no problem!

Think the problem was that the data I'd copied to it was the same data I'd copied to the bricked drive and then copied off again before replacing,,,must have got corrupted somehow. Now all I've got to do is repopulate with the contents of about 50 DVDs ! (should keep me off the streets for a while)

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom