Program information on the channel guide? (1 Viewer)

cvscam

May 4, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I tried the internal one, Webgraberplus 1.1.1, Scheldulesdirectplugin and mc2xml.exe but no channel information displays in media portal. What is the name of the file that media portal would use for the channel information and what directory would media portal look for it at? I live in the USA at zipcode 43221 using a tv tuner card with ota antenna and windows 7. I scanned all my channels and can watch TV using media portal but have spent the last 3 days attempting to load a tv guide.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome cvscam! :)

I scanned all my channels and can watch TV using media portal...
    Great! :)

...but have spent the last 3 days attempting to load a tv guide.
    That's not so good.

What is the name of the file that media portal would use for the channel information and what directory would media portal look for it at?
    There's no such file. TV Server stores its EPG in a database. There are various plugins - XMLTV, WebEPG etc. - that are able to import data into that database from a range of locations (eg. a website, a local file somewhere on your PC etc.).

I tried the internal one...
    Won't work - doesn't support US OTA (ATSC) or cable EPG formats.

Webgraberplus 1.1.1
    It should be possible to make that work. Did you find the instructions for IMDB?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_WebGrab_Plus

Was there something you didn't understand or got stuck with?

Scheldulesdirectplugin and mc2xml.exe
    If you have an SD subscription then in my opinion this is the best option to choose.
    There are instructions for this on mc2xml's website, and some in our wiki too.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

So, did you manage to get mc2xml to produce xmltv.xml with all the program information in it? (...XML files can be opened in a text editor or web browser...)

Regards,
    mm

cvscam

May 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes I got mc2xml to produce a file called xmltv.xml in the media portal directory and it has program info, I see the call letters and channel numbers for my local channels but media portal still doesn't show it on the tv guide. How to I tell media portal to load/import/use that information?

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    @cvscam
    I am also in the U.S.
    Schedules Direct should get about 99% of the channel info you are looking for.
    Create an account with them. Choose your location and ISP or zip code.
    In the SD pulgin, fill in the same Logon Info, Also tell it to load the info on the Next TV Startup
    Go to Manual and click Stop TV. Once stopped, click Start
    Within moments you should see the Client log fill channels found and not found.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I got mc2xml to produce a file called xmltv.xml in the media portal directory and it has program info, I see the call letters and channel numbers for my local channels...
    Okay, good. :)

...but media portal still doesn't show it on the tv guide. How to I tell media portal to load/import/use that information?
    You need to use the XMLTV plugin to import it, as per the instructions in the tutorial that I previously linked.
    As it says in the link: you'll need to change the name of the file from xmltv.xml to tvguide.xml.
    After that you need to configure the XMLTV plugin. Instructions are given:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...e_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml#Setup_XMLTV_Plugin

Basically the process is to import the channels, map the [guide data] channels to TV Server channels (the ones found in the scan), and then import again to import the program info.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @breese
    I wouldn't recommend the SD plugin because it seems to require all the channels to be renamed in order to match the guide data with the TV Server channels. The same data can be acquired via mc2xml and the XMLTV plugin.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    As much as I respect and admire you, as for OTA in the U.S.
    This is unmodified as I test 1.12 Pre
    MP1.11_Guide.jpg

It does require a few channels to rename, but for the most part, once all is completed for what you want, there is no special "Configurations" like adding something to Scheduler so as to get regular updates

I even have a saved MP2 database that works day in and day out

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How the hell do you get those HD icons to show?
    Simply use a skin that supports them. :)

It does require a few channels to rename...
    The number of channels you have to rename depends on the area you live in. In other words, for you it might not be much of a problem... but it can be a big problem for other people. It's especially confusing for "newbies" because renaming is a totally non-obvious way of forcing matches. With the XMLTV plugin you can specify exactly how you want to match the guide data.

...but for the most part, once all is completed for what you want, there is no special "Configurations" like adding something to Scheduler so as to get regular updates
    The "special configurations" for mc2xml/XMLTV are a once off as well.

Anyhow, I recognise both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses. I was just trying to help complete the process without introducing something completely new and similarly complicated. Anything that works is a good solution. :)

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    I'm currently using MayaHD but even when I was using Titan those HD icons never showed up for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom