h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling: air cooling
Power Supply:
Remote:): none
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

MediaPortal is running perfectly but a program restriction is installed into Windows 7-64 bits. When the TV is running all the PC's programs are locked.
After desintallation of MediaPortal "Windows Media Center" is always locked.
How to remove this restriction.
many thanks.
Serge

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I really don't have a clue what you mean. Can you explain some more what you mean by: the programs are locked?

sergefc

February 7, 2011
Home Country
France France
Re : program restriction

Thanks for your answer.
After the installation of MediaPortal on my 64 bits's system 'Windows Media center' is locked even if mediaPortal is removed. The error is:
"Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."
I have found an answer to this problem on the microsoft msdn.com site (With a long search).
I gives you the process tounlock Media center:

You have to start gpedit.msc
Then expand Computer Configuration, then Administrative templates, then Windows Components.

Right-click on the setting named 'Do not allow Windows Media Center to run' and choose Properties.
In the properties dialog change the setting to Disabled and click Ok.

Another thing I have seen: When the television is On, All the windows functions are also locked. It is impossible to start any program even the start menu!!

MediaPortal runs fine.
Best regards
Serge

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Ok the first part could be a bug, we have to investigate that.

The second part is a bit strange. I can start any program i want while watching TV. Are you running in fullscreen mode or windowed mode?

If you are running in fullscreen mode you should try running in windowed mode (alt + enter).

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: Re : program restriction

Thanks for your answer.
    After the installation of MediaPortal on my 64 bits's system 'Windows Media center' is locked even if mediaPortal is removed. The error is:
    "Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."
    I have found an answer to this problem on the microsoft msdn.com site (With a long search).
    I gives you the process tounlock Media center:

You have to start gpedit.msc
    Then expand Computer Configuration, then Administrative templates, then Windows Components.

Right-click on the setting named 'Do not allow Windows Media Center to run' and choose Properties.
    In the properties dialog change the setting to Disabled and click Ok.

Another thing I have seen: When the television is On, All the windows functions are also locked. It is impossible to start any program even the start menu!!

MediaPortal runs fine.
    Best regards
    Serge

Hi Serge,

it's true that once you enable the policy the way to remove it is using gpedit.msc.

But you have to take care that we don't enable the policy by defaults: you need to go in configuration->3rd party checks and enable it yourself.

We think that if a user is so advanced to enable the policy he should also know what he did on his system and find the way to revert.

Simone

sergefc

February 7, 2011
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : program restriction

Bonjour,

After investigations, I can confirm the second point. Actually when I start MP with or without Tv On ( which runs fine) all access to a program is locked. For example I cannot write this message.
    The software restriction is completely disable.

I don't have many programs on my system: Visual studio, Office, Filezilla, vlc, that's all.

What to do now ?

Best regards
    Serge

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom