Programming suggestion (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I'm re-posting this here because I don't know if it was in the right forum initially. This is real simple and would have a huge impact on usability.

Don't rebuild the music folder (albums, whatever) list every time you backup the tree to the list. When you click on an album in the main list just overlay another list on top of that one and populate it with the tracks or whatever (small amounts of info). You can work on that list dynamically because the stuff in it will be relatively small amounts of data.

When you go back to the 'big' list you don't have to repopulate or re-calculate it, all you have to do is reveal it! Super fast. I've used this on my pocket PC application and it rocks. My little Axim works WAY FASTER than MP on my Pentium 2.4GHz machine using this technique.

Right now the only big failing of MP or any of the other programs out there is that they can't bring up my music list ( 900 folders - 10,000 tracks ) as fast as my PocketPC runing a VB app. C'mon guys, get creative!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Do you have MP3 tags turned on in setup?
    Have you scanned the songs in the database?

If you have the songs in the database then turn off the ID3 usage in setup.
    ID3 usage will constantly reload the data from the files wich is slooowww.

If you have this off the data will be taken from the database wich is super fast.

A

Anonymous

I'll give that a try. Thanks! I wonder what functionality I will lose though. Perhaps this option should be turned off, or if the library is over a certain threshold you could prompt the user to turn off that feature.

It would seem easy enough to check how long it was taking to bring up the list and suggest some remedial action.

I know that sort of thing isn't the 'fun part' of programming but here's another opportunity to look at adaptive software, a concept that most of the major players are totally ignoring. Once you've tried it I'm sure the benefits will reveal themselves.

Still and all, it's a great project and you guys deserve kudios galore.

Thanks

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    the naming is indeed wrong of this option.
    We will do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom