Progress? (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
Hello people.

I am still using the last version of MP with configurable home menus (is it 0.2.1?) since for MY use this is major functionality I cannot miss (I really really hate having all plugins under a "my plugins"). Seems I am almost alone in this (else there would be some talk about it).

Anyway, since I am still at that version I don't really follow progress and even SVN like before.

Can someone brief me (or even new users and users generally not so "deep" and active in the forum and SVN) on how things have developed since then?

To be more precise...

1) How is TV server progressing? Is it in the main core already or is it planned for some future release? (next one or are we far yet?) Has it reached the functionality of the old engine or not yet?

2) Any other major breakthrough we might have missed from main MP page?

3) Is there ANY activity concerning the home plugin (by anyone) the last 5 months?

MP is great, of course we cannot all have the same priorities on what is important (for example I find front-end REALLY important in an HTPC and in turn, menus to ve the most "central" part of front-end, their real format being much more important than having a fade-back animation for example), but I think everything will catch up some time.

Keep up the good work. I hope interest from developers remains high.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hehe... asking for progress here is like asking for trouble, from what I have experienced (and I believe you have to?):D .

Anyway:
    I am still using the last version of MP with configurable home menus (is it 0.2.1?) since for MY use this is major functionality I cannot miss (I really really hate having all plugins under a "my plugins"). Seems I am almost alone in this (else there would be some talk about it).
    What do you mean about "having all plugins under a "my plugins" "?

In config, every plugin can be selected if they should be listed in "home" og "my plugins" (or disabled) from what I recall.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

1) Progress is fine. Functionality has reached more or less the old engine. Some things already are better, some things are still missing. The TV server will be in the MP 0.3 release. Before this release there will be a 0.2.3.0 version with the "old" TV engine and many bugfixes. But I haven't checked the status of the home plugin. It surely will be redesigned and working in 0.3.

2) Well, much eyecandy, bug fixes and so on.

3) Again afaik the home plugin will be totally rewritten for 0.3.

Flip.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Hehe... asking for progress here is like asking for trouble, from what I have experienced (and I believe you have to?):D .

Oh, INDEED (you should see what I have edited out as I was indeed expecting this).

In config, every plugin can be selected if they should be listed in "home" og "my plugins" (or disabled) from what I recall.

From what I recall, not.
    I am not talking about standard plugins... I am talking about extra plugins (like multishortcut).
    Anyway I'll check it out again, but last time I checked you could just arrange the order (!) and this is even functionality "added lately" (read: 5 months ago).

Hi,

1) Progress is fine. Functionality has reached more or less the old engine. Some things already are better, some things are still missing. The TV server will be in the MP 0.3 release. Before this release there will be a 0.2.3.0 version with the "old" TV engine and many bugfixes. But I haven't checked the status of the home plugin. It surely will be redesigned and working in 0.3.

2) Well, much eyecandy, bug fixes and so on.

3) Again afaik the home plugin will be totally rewritten for 0.3.

Flip.

Thanks for the brief. AFAIK Bavarian (and in the rare case he has in fact answered me) who AFAIK is assigned to work on Home, is too busy at the moment and hasn't done anything on Home (and nothing shown on SVN for months), so I wonder what is really planned and if there is any schedule on that.

Any loose time frame for 0.2.3 and 0.3?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Any loose time frame for 0.2.3 and 0.3?

Well, very loose, please do not see this set in stone. :)

0.2.3. is not far away, I would guess something about two months away.

0.3? Thats difficult to say. The team is already working very hard on parts of it. Much code (especially the TV engine and the GUI) are completely rewritten (also the menu management :)). I think it will come somewhere at the end of the year. (Only my own opinion resulting from the current progress, no team speak!)

Flip.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

From what I recall, not.
    I am not talking about standard plugins... I am talking about extra plugins (like multishortcut).
    Anyway I'll check it out again, but last time I checked you could just arrange the order (!) and this is even functionality "added lately" (read: 5 months ago).

In case you just have not found it:
    You cannot select if a plugin is listed in "home" or "my plugins" from within the "Home configuration". You can select this when you rightclick on a specific plugin in the "MediaPortal configuration -> Plugins" section.

-level20peon

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    for any plugin? (even third party?)

ah thanks Flip - things look nice

my only "objection" (probably wrong word) is that maybe MP development is slower than how information technology evolves in general - in other words maybe some things that are planned as "next major version killer addition" are already "old" by the time they are actually released - I could be wrong, it is just a feeling by watching MP development since before 0.1.3 (think of how long back it was), I don't have knowledge of the internal roadmap of the team (maybe some things planned are going to be "fresh" in the industry when released)

anyway keep up the good work

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    I think the current media-portal core is not up to the challenge and many changes have to be made to make it more extensible.

Like a better menu, messaging, database and gui system :) I assume they are working on this as meedios development has totally ground to a halt and our WPF developers are nowhere to be seen :(

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    for any plugin? (even third party?)

Well without wanting to be offending but why don't you just give it a try :p ?

You can simply backup your current installation and restore it afterwards if you are not contended with the latest version.

-level20peon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom