[Blog] Promoting MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Nice to see you guys connecting and talking about ways to promote MP! Personally I would love to see sub user groups for each 'region' because there are many ways to customize MP for language, EPG Data, Movie grabbers, TV tuners, etc and it is not always clear to new users how to setup MP best for their local area. Another thing that a wizard might help!

Although I agree wholeheartedly with most of your points, I think it is important to remember that because MP is so advanced, we have one of the most talented, knowledgeable, and best user communities I have ever seen anywhere. The result is that we all benefit in the form of excellent plugins and skins, patches to fix and improve MP or localize it for your region, etc. We have a large pool of brilliant users who often become our top notch Team members/developers. So I hope we never lose them. It is not easy to develop an application that meets the needs of such advanced users as well as the needs of more basic/new users, but we are trying!

I would like to see a pop-up dialog inside Mediaportal when a update is availible, and have the option to install it.
    I understand this is already possible using MPEInstaller. Unfortunately not many extensions really understand how to do it yet and have not implemented it. It's on our list to make that clearer and easier. So I think (hope!) you will see more extensions using it soon.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice to see you guys connecting and talking about ways to promote MP! Personally I would love to see sub user groups for each 'region' because there are many ways to customize MP for language, EPG Data, Movie grabbers, TV tuners, etc and it is not always clear to new users how to setup MP best for their local area. Another thing that a wizard might help!

Although I agree wholeheartedly with most of your points, I think it is important to remember that because MP is so advanced, we have one of the most talented, knowledgeable, and best user communities I have ever seen anywhere. The result is that we all benefit in the form of excellent plugins and skins, patches to fix and improve MP or localize it for your region, etc. We have a large pool of brilliant users who often become our top notch Team members/developers. So I hope we never lose them. It is not easy to develop an application that meets the needs of such advanced users as well as the needs of more basic/new users, but we are trying!

I would like to see a pop-up dialog inside Mediaportal when a update is availible, and have the option to install it.
    I understand this is already possible using MPEInstaller. Unfortunately not many extensions really understand how to do it yet and have not implemented it. It's on our list to make that clearer and easier. So I think (hope!) you will see more extensions using it soon.

:)

Can you give an example of an plugin that can be updated inside mediaportal? I have installed a lot of plugins, but have never see a popup with an update..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Onlinevideos does tell you a new update is needed to refresh sites list, you can then use then extensions plugin to look for update.

Streamed MP is the only pretty much finished skin I know of, that shows update, Avalon also uses the same method.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Can you give an example of an plugin that can be updated inside mediaportal? I have installed a lot of plugins, but have never see a popup with an update..
    I think Dukus had used it on his plugins - RadioTime, YouTube.fm, but perhaps I was just testing it for him at the time.

Basically it looks the same as in the Extensions plugin when the orange update icon displays if an update is available (see screenshot).

My understanding is that if an extension uses MPEI then they can add that icon (or one of their choice) to a skin file to display when an update is available (I think Extensions plugin must be installed/enabled). Selecting it will start the update the same as it does in the Extensions plugin.

Attachments

• Extensions.jpg
      Extensions.jpg
      44.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom