Proof of Concept, new "home" screen concept. (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I was thinking about all the pros and cons about skin design and I'm wondering if we can make things totally different here. The common way a "home" screen was build is really similar on all HTPC applications, no matter if it's WMC or MP2. But only because it's always done this way, this did not have the best way to do...
    Inspired from the very flexible way Android does I was thinking about a completely free layout as only the user can decide what the user personally needs the best. I believe this will give an enormous extra amount on usability.

So let's start with this idea. Every plugin that needs some kind of user interaction must come with lets call "widgets". In easiest case this only is a link to the main plugin screen like it is now. But it should be possible that those widgets can provide informations, gimmicks or other things to the home screen itself. As example the weather widget that gives current information about the local (or any other place on the world) weather. Videos plugin can give information about the last added movies, series- episodes,... SlimTV can provide information about ongoing and/or scheduled recordings,... Another plugin can add a picture of the fellow who has birthday today to the screen...

A plugin should be able to provide more than one "widget" as it is with Videos plugin right now (Videos, Movies and Series are three Buttons that leads to different parts of the video plugin if I understand this right).

And those widgets should be freely placeable on and removable from home screen. If I like the weather on top left corner, I put the weather widget on top left corner... If I want the RSS feeds on top, I put them there, and so on... But If I don't want weather at all (because I can see through the window) I can remove it completely, leaving only a simple button with a hyperlink somewhere.

Widgets should not be limited to a fixed size. Some (like RSS) has to be a long and small rectangle, others may be round,... And if the user can not add all wanted widgets to the screen it should be possible to add a second (and third,...) home screen.

I really did not know if this is technically possible inside MP2 at all, but I think it's worth a thought...

This way the home screen is a fully personalized information and navigation central.

What do you think about this?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    yep you're right, this was one thing that inspired me, made me start thinking about new concepts...

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah I am still thinking about this and hope our designer incorporate this in their plans for new MP2 skins :) (@wizard123)
    I want the Startscreen to be only an information screen, not a menu as it is currently in every screen. Widgets on Home that provide info. The user presses a menu button to bring up a main menu overlayed (and that is possible anytime at any screen). (@Spragleknas likes this as well - the overlay would use my radial panel to layout the items)

It will need some infrastructure coding in MP2 to create some models and at least some widgets, but skinengine is already equipped for everything we need visually.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yeah I am still thinking about this and hope our designer incorporate this in their plans for new MP2 skins :) (@wizard123)
    I want the Startscreen to be only an information screen, not a menu as it is currently in every screen. Widgets on Home that provide info. The user presses a menu button to bring up a main menu overlayed (and that is possible anytime at any screen). (@Spragleknas likes this as well - the overlay would use my radial panel to layout the items)

It will need some infrastructure coding in MP2 to create some models and at least some widgets, but skinengine is already equipped for everything we need visually.
    In this case in my Apollo One concept the tiles could be widgets to display the info you want but i think the widgets should follow some sort of global attributes for their design which is customizable by the skin designer.
    Over all i like the idea of being able to move widgets around BUT i would say within the layout that the skin has defined otherwise why build other skins.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Other skins because I want my widgets to be pink and round and wide and only two rows, and chefkoch likes his widgets black and white and squared and 4 by 4 aligned and ... ;) Just an example.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I see from your other post the widgets would indeed be visually defined by the designers which is definitely the way to go so we could happily create you some pink floaty fluffiness :D

stefan75

April 4, 2010
    I am not sure but it seems for me that the idea have some in common with the windows phone live tiles.

Here some aspects of them:
    - The home screen is based on a grid
    - Apps can be placed on the grid
    - The owner can configure the size of the app tile (just a view sizes)
    - Some apps providing app specific information in a tile
    (weather app the current temp, phone the number of missed calls, ...)
    - Depending on the configured size the app provide more or less information

Sounds very interesting for me... Here some examples:
    - Series: Just added episides
    - Media: What is currently played... (e.g. pip)
    - Weather: Forecast
    - TV: Currently aired movies (program guide)
    - Plugins: Currently available updates

I would also like to pin some special options/configs to the home screen like:
    - Favorite tv channel
    -> Jumps to the tv and selects the channel
    - Favorite tv series
    -> Jumps to the tv series and plays/selects the first unseed episode

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom