Proposal for releases (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    All good pionts tourettes, but something should be done.
    I think because the release schedule is a little slow, then the community and plugin/skin devs see the alpha as being the next release - this means that some plugins and skins get released as requiring the alpha software.

For few last years we have been trying to push a quicker release cycle but it has failed. Hopefully after 1.3.0 it will be possible to get at least two releases per year, but who knows. MediaPortal is quite big software (much bigger than many commercial ones) and we have only few developers working on their spare time so releases tend to get delayed for what ever reasons.

Anyone who really wants to live in the bleeding edge has few options (both are speeding up the actual release cycle if a proper feedback is given back).

1) Check "Area 51" often and when you see an interesting feature help testing (or even developing!) it.
    2) Build own builds from the master when ever there is new content. Master branch should be product quality all the time - all the merged fixes and features have been tested before they enter master.

ps. Any skin that plugin that targets alpha or beta release on MediaPortal is to be treated as alpha or beta quality as well. Skinners and plugin developers should state that clearly and if not doing so then they are failing with the communication towards their own user base.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it's fine the way it is. The alpha release is not linked to in the download mediaportal page, the user has to go into the forums or the news section to find it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The release cycle is *slow* for one simple reason.
    We are lacking manpower - more than ever before in the 8 years I am now part of TMP.

There is a lot that needs to be done, and what we would love to do. But there just is no one who takes care of it.

What we need are testers, developers, designers, writers ..... who really want to dedicate a big part of their spare time to push MP. But we also need more help from the community in Area 51 to get codechanges ready for including in a mp release.

That's the reality.

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The release cycle is *slow* for one simple reason.
    We are lacking manpower - more than ever before in the 8 years I am now part of TMP.

There is a lot that needs to be done, and what we would love to do. But there just is no one who takes care of it.

What we need are testers, developers, designers, writers ..... who really want to dedicate a big part of their spare time to push MP. But we also need more help from the community in Area 51 to get codechanges ready for including in a mp release.

That's the reality.

Count me in!
    Just installed git, and am now making a clone.
    Do I need a github account, and approval to commit stuff?

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Methinks there should be an official recruitment thread somewhere :)
    Looks like the good peoples here are willing to pitch in :D
    I like that warm feeling of family!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Maybe it's time for a recruitment drive?
    Ask and you shall receive SpudR - thanks for joining the Docs Group! :p

I find the idea of an 'official recruitment thread' quite interesting - interested parties could indicate their area(s) interest and skill set and team can review and invite those who may fulfill our current needs. The problem is 'WHERE?" to post such a thread so that everyone will see it? We could post a quick news/FB/G+ post with a link to such a thread? Maybe now you have joined the Team you can make an official proposal in Team forum with a poll?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom