[TV] Proposed change to series record options (1 Viewer)

NZ_Rick

Portal Member
November 24, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Started on: 12-02-14
last update: 12-02-14

Summary:

Area: tv

Description:
It would be awesome if we could have similar series recording options as windows media centre in which you can have multiple criteria that all have to be met for a series to record.

My proposed criteria are:
Chanel, pretty straight forward.
Airtime, This should look at the guide and let you chose from different the start times of the show selected. also a awesome option is to have "around this time" which would check +- say 2 hours of the show selected in the guide.
episodes to keep, chose how many eppisodes to keep let's say 1-10 and all

so in this example I want to record a show lets say the 3 news. as Mediaportal is currently I have the choice of fixed recording every day at 6pm or record every time it airs which is also lunchtime as it's just called news. In the proposed change I would of configured the series as follows: select 3 news in the guide at 6pm select advanced record. Channel 3 airtime "Around this time", keep 5 episodes. Unless all the criteria are met it would not record

image.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello NZ_Rick

It sounds like what you're missing is the "around this time" feature... because as far as I can tell everything else is already possible.
    Would you agree?

I take it a custom pre/post record is not enough/suitable for this.
    Have you tried the TV Wishlist plugin?

mm

NZ_Rick

Portal Member
    November 24, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mm,

Yes plus the ability to select how many eppisodes to keep per series When you setup a series To record and the ability to combine the current criteria eg only on this channel + around this time + new and only if all of these are met it will record[DOUBLEPOST=1392250662][/DOUBLEPOST]No custom pre record doesn't really cut the mustard as if a show time changes it will miss the show and record something else. Also when a series finishes for the season it will keep recording at that time.

No I haven't seen the TV wish list plugin, I will have a look when I get home from work, but it would be preferential if it was built in to MP instead of having to use a plugin.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes plus the ability to select how many eppisodes to keep per series
    Doesn't episode management already do this for you?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...V/1_Scheduling_Recordings#Episodes_management

No custom pre record doesn't really cut the mustard as if a show time changes it will miss the show and record something else.
    I think we can only be as good as the EPG data. If you select "every time on this channel" and your EPG data is correct then surely that is not a problem.

Also when a series finishes for the season it will keep recording at that time.
    Yes, if you use "every day at this time" rather than "every time on this channel". I take your point that you want a combination of those two, but that is why I suggested TV Wishlist.

...but it would be preferential if it was built in to MP instead of having to use a plugin.
    There is a balance to be maintained between power and flexibility on one hand and simplicity and ease of use on the other. Plugins exist to meet the needs of people that aren't satisfied with the base functionality... so I'd encourage you to try TV Wishlist, and we can consider if the option should be added.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

NZ_Rick

Portal Member
    November 24, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes plus the ability to select how many eppisodes to keep per series
    Doesn't episode management already do this for you?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...V/1_Scheduling_Recordings#Episodes_management

Yes it does but it would make sence to have the option to set this when you create a series

No custom pre record doesn't really cut the mustard as if a show time changes it will miss the show and record something else.
    I think we can only be as good as the EPG data. If you select "every time on this channel" and your EPG data is correct then surely that is not a problem.

My epg data is fine. If I select every time on this channel I get every eppisode including repeats which is not ideal. This is where being able to set multipul criteria would solve this. Every time on this channel + around this time + only new eppisodes

Also when a series finishes for the season it will keep recording at that time.
    Yes, if you use "every day at this time" rather than "every time on this channel". I take your point that you want a combination of those two, but that is why I suggested TV Wishlist.

I will look into this

...but it would be preferential if it was built in to MP instead of having to use a plugin.
    There is a balance to be maintained between power and flexibility on one hand and simplicity and ease of use on the other. Plugins exist to meet the needs of people that aren't satisfied with the base functionality... so I'd encourage you to try TV Wishlist, and we can consider if the option should be added.

Yes I get that but this is the only area in my opinion that mp is still lagging behind wmc. Also even the cheapest freeview box has the ability to record a series without repeats.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Your most welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom