Ongoing Proposed hardware purchase - please comment (1 Viewer)

James Mangan

July 23, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi Everyone
I am currently researching components for my first HTPC build. With so many options out there i am a little overwhelmed and open to suggestions from people who know more than me on the subject - which is basically everybody!
I live in Australia and will likely source products from:
Here is my first draft list which i have basically copied from the following forum:
CASE: Silverstone ML04B Black Slim HTPC Case $89.00
RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $92.00
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD Retail Box $119.00
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8H77-M LE Motherboard $79.00
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i3 3225 $152.00
DRIVE: Lite-On IHES312 12X Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive $59.00
PWR SUPPLY: Seasonic S12II 430W Power Supply $75.00
TV CARD: Hauppauge HVR-2210 Media Centre Kit $165.00

I have a windows home server with movies, tvshows and music. I will primarily use it for these purposes as well as recording live TV to the server, browsing the internet and anything else people suggest i should install.

Your help is greatly appreciated and i eagerly await your replies.
Thanks
James

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

James Mangan

July 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks mm1352000
    I do propose shopping around for the best price..
    What are the advantages of having a quad tuner over a dual tuner?
    and would the remote supplied with the Hauppauge work with media portal?
    Thanks

James Mangan

July 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Also im wondering if i should add an external graphics card or if the one that comes with the motherboard will suffice. I could always add it afterwards if required?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What are the advantages of having a quad tuner over a dual tuner?
    Being able to watch/record more channels simultaneously.
    I'm not 100% sure about the Aussie DVB-T situation, but I think you have 5 frequencies in most regions:
    • 1 frequency for SBS channels
    • 1 frequency for ABC channels
    • 1 frequency for Seven channels
    • 1 frequency for Nine channels
    • 1 frequency for Ten channels
    One tuner allows you to view/record all the channels on one frequency.
    Assuming I'm correct (which I'm probably not) if you had 5 tuners you could view/record all channels simultaneously.
    From that perspective a dual tuner can be limiting... however it depends how much TV you watch and record.

...and would the remote supplied with the Hauppauge work with media portal?
    Yes [edit: I think so
    Hauppauge bundles a few different types of remotes. There might be one that doesn't work with MP.]

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks solid. If you want to save money get the A6-5400K instead. The RAM sounds like it might be a bit overpriced. I think the other components also look like they are also overpriced based on my recollection of the NZ:AUD rate.

eg. The HVR2210 is $139 NZD = ~$120 AUD

MM is right about the remote being maybe, it's an MCE clone though so I would say 95% chance it will work without drivers, just tick one box in MePo. If it is not working, then a MCE clone remote from ebay will cost you ~$15USD delivered.

Last edited:

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    On the 840 ssd - get the pro version See my build thread - the non pro 840 ssd wears alot more quickly then others.
    +1 with mm re: getting a digitalnow quad card(just check that it will clear in your case - it should as it is a low profile card

While using the i3 3225 you will NOT need a extra graphics card for ANYTHING except for medium level 3d gaming and above. It will do 1080p coded stuff with ease, and should be able to do 3d with the correct tv/software.

Btw the memory seems expensive but maybe that has just had a price hike?

If you need a good mce remote the "hp" branded ones on ebay for $25 delivered work well :)

btw Im in australia also--- previously I had 4 tuners then I cut back to 2.. Wife was very unhappy with limitations on mass multichannel recordings, so went back to 4.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    IMHO: Intel Pro 840 SSD is too expensive. Allocate between 2GB-8GB of RAM for timeshifting (2GB-4GB is enough for most users). Works faster, less wear on SSD. Extra ram is way cheaper than Pro version.

Last edited:

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    In the Samsung 840 120g drives there is only a difference of $30 between the non and pro version ($119 and $149au), if I could go back in time I would have paid the extra $30 but Kiwi you are correct it isn't a big issue.
    The way ssd drives are coming down in price, it prob will not matter if they wear a lil quick as in another 2 years they will be dirt cheap to replace(and bigger/faster)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is a performance difference in write speed between the pro vs non pro, but with running an HTPC write speed is not important. The read speed is essentially the same. TV-Server doesn't need that fast a write speed. The onboard memory on the pro version might be slightly more robust, but if you were worried at all about SSD lifespan then you wouldn't be timeshifting to an SSD drive in the first place (You would use RAM timeshift).

I think you made the right choice in the non pro version, but I do suggest that you use RAM for timeshifting, even if it is only 1GB ram drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom