Putting together an HTPC for my Son-in-law

Discussion in 'Ongoing HTPC Projects' started by 2BitSculptor, November 27, 2013.

1. 2BitSculptor
    • Team MediaPortal

2BitSculptor Super Moderator

Sculptor - Maquettes, Resin Figure Model Kits, Toy
    Ratings:
    +399 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    MySon-in-law approached me about assembling a "low cost" HTPC to meet his essential functionality requirements. They already have a solution for Movies, and was wanting to basically give them DVR capabilities for OTA bradcasts and centralize their music collection. I tried to put together a list that I thought would work for them, starting from an outdated "Making a Low Cost HTPC" web page that he sent a link to. Can I get any comments about the choices for this build, especially the MoBo and CPU.

Thanks.

Code (Text):
    1. 1) Antec ISK 300-150 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 150W Power Supply
    3. 2) AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D AD540KOKHJBOX
    5. 3) MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
    7. 4) Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G
    9. 5)  SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    11. 6) Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive
    13. 7) SuperMicro Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-ROM IDE Slim DVD Drive Model DVM-TEAC-824B
    15. 8) Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
    17. 9) SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black)
    19. 10) SANOXY® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Looks OK to me (but I have no direct experience with the AMD CPU). The hard disk seems a bit small for a modern DVR (especially for HDTV).

4. Jay_UK
    • Team MediaPortal

Jay_UK Test Group

Enterprise Architect
    Ratings:
    +271 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hi there,

I have an AMD A4 client (not server) and it handles everything I throw at it (right up to 1080i), no issues with 24p either.

Client is running MovPics, TVSeries, etc...

J.

5. 2BitSculptor
    • Team MediaPortal

2BitSculptor Super Moderator

Sculptor - Maquettes, Resin Figure Model Kits, Toy
    Ratings:
    +399 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    cool, ... thanks ...

My Son-in-law doesn't have big plans for the system, just as a DVR and to catalog his CD collection. They already have a streaming box (don't remember the name) for online TV viewing and movies, but he needs local program recording since dropping cable. He will be setting up a RAM drive for time-shifting. He doesn't plan on storing TV recordings or movies after watching them.... he's not crazy like me :ROFLMAO:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!