PVR 350 (TV-Out) Media MVP (1 Viewer)

jrockintuitive

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
First off… very nice work on MP.

I have extensive experience with commercial software development – and I want to help. The most important enhancement to this project, to me, is displaying content on my TV.

Does anyone have any developer’s documentation for PVR 350 or Media MVP… or at least protocols and ports being used on the MVP?

I couldn’t find jack at hauppauge’s site. I talked to some VP over there and he is looking in to it. So he says?

Anything would be helpful.

jrockintuitive

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
Thanks Flip,

I'll take a look and give all an update as I make progress.

Do you know of anyone else working one this? It would be nice to compare notes.

JRock

A

Anonymous

FYI

The guys over at GB-PVR have got this working.

There is a bit of a how-to here:

http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-printpage-artid-10.html

When you set the program up correctly, it replaces the Hauppauge provided server program so that the GBPVR interface shows up on your television and can be controlled with your mediamvp remote. The result of this and the last three steps is that your computer will do the dirty work for the PVR process, but it can be controlled and viewed on your television though the MediaMVP/GBPVR combo.

I have heard that the TV output on a standard TV is considerably sharper than most standard graphics cards can produce. I presume they will be selling a wireless version soon (hence them hurridly selling off the current ones in some places).

I know that some of the GB-PVR software is open-source, not sure if this stuff is up for grabs. Just thought you might be interested if you'd not seen this before.

jrockintuitive

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
I started playing around... looked at several sites... and the PVR 350 is screwy. I can play mpeg-2 files on the TV (with a makeshift app I threw together), but for no reason whatsoever – the playback dies on me. This rarely happens, but it happens nonetheless. Most of the time if I call the wake cmd (found GBPVR site) I’ll back in business. I believe the wake command restarts the hardware.

Now here is the not so obvious problem. If you are watching an existing recording and your playback hangs while you are recording. If you restart your hardware you will obviously stop recording.

Any ideas here would be helpful,

JRock

FYI:
I’m using the latest drivers for my 350.
To all of those that might want to give this a try - I know this might seem rudimentary, but I didn’t know until I looked… To output to a TV, you must use DirectShow and Hardware Decoding.

jrockintuitive

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
OK... my stream becomes busted when I attempt to overlay. I search GBVPR and they have the same problem. The sub at GBPVR explains that it is a driver thing. I'm inclined to agree.

Also, on the GBPVR site, they are having problems with timeshifting live TV, with the PVR 350. I'm not sure why, but the sub said he has tried several different techiniques... all with the same result - failure.

I'm thinking I should focus on the MVP. Well, buy an MVP then focus on it.

Anyone have and opionion- I'm all ears.

JRock

jrockintuitive

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
I checked out WinTVOut… There is another problem with the PVR350 – When you are watching something and recording at the same time, and the recording stops, the system sometimes freezes. GB-PVR has the same problem… which I confirmed to be true.

To date, here are the problems with the PVR 350:

1. If you record and watch at the same time, when the recording stops, sometimes your system freezes
2. Overlays can hang the system
3. No one has been able to timeshift live TV (that I am aware of)

Problem 1 and 2 are definitely hardware/driver related. I have confirmed this with Hauppauge. I did not investigate problem 3, but other have confirmed this to be a problem.

I have officially given up on TV-out with the PVR 350. Not because it cannot be done. Because, I believe, it cannot be done reliably with the current drivers.

I’m going to pick up a MVP and start working on that.

I’ll of course update everyone when I get rolling.

JRock

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom