PVR-Scheduler .. where will it go.. ?! (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
I really like the idea of PVR-scheduler.
Selecting the shows I want to record in (e.g.) an internet cafe is usefull for me and the (e.g.) tvtv.de homepage gives much more information and filtering options..

BUT I wonder how this integrates with Mediaportal itself:
MP has its own EPG and PVR-scheduler comes with an own one too..
Both schedule a recording list. MP mangages conflicts .. but only for its own recordings..

So is PVR-Scheduler a concurrent attemp? Will all this end in ONE INTEGRATED solution..

The idea is fine and though I appriciate Sam/Machines web interface and hard work.. a real internet service is more valuable for me.

What do others thing?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
PVR Scheduler is a commercial application and in some way also violating the GPL. It will not be integrated, nor can we support that application, as we never seen any code.

interways

March 6, 2005
That is unfortunate, since PVR Scheduler is able to wake up my PC. This never worked with MP.

I never got MP to wake up my PC from Standby (S3). Any ideas, why?

Thanks

Chris

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Um...AFAIK, you can't use PVR-Scheduler over the internet. How are you doing it? I thought it was only a local program, i.e. only used on the TV computer. Are you talking about http://www.pvr-scheduler.de/?

If you are, then its not commercial as far as I can see, and the sources seem to be available...do correct me though if I'm wrong. I can understand why you don't support it though.

Sam

STSC

Portal Pro
December 4, 2004
Germany
PVR Scheduler is not violating GPL, because the source code of the MP plugin is available and also the interface between PVR Scheduler and MP. That's the External Control Plugin II (ECP2) which is also used in the Machine's web interface. The ECP2 is programmed by Sam and by me.

I can't release the core code of PVRS because I'm not allowed to make certain parts public like the TVTV interface and the CMOSTimer integration.

I can also release the code of the GUI, if anybody want's to write it's own GUI, just let me know.

The other thing is that PVRS is independant of MP, so it's not just used in combination with MP. And it's also fully integrated into windows, because it's running as service. So you can't just use it like a plugin which you can switch off and on. I guess that the whole integration into the MP setup could be very difficult.

Sam asked frodo if he wanted to put the ECP2 into the MP porject, but he couldn't because it's VB .NET, even if it would not be a big deal for me to combine VB .NET and C#. The core code of PVRS is written in VB .NET, and the plugin in C#.

Anyway I would appreciate it very much if just my plugin (written in C#) would get integrated in MP, but obviously there seems to be no interest as long as I don't release the whole source code which I can't.

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Yes, meant www.pvr-scheduler.de

It does work in combination with (e.g.) websites like www.tvtv.de
You first need to have a subscription to the tvtv.de service.
Then you can schedule recordings on that web page.

Pvr-scheduler queries the website from time to time to sync his local recording schedule with the data on the website..

The big advantage is that you can store your own special search macros on the web site and do have very detailed EPG infos..
E.g. you could list only the movies and Sci-Fi genre..

(I can not do this with MP web interface because it has no knowdlege which genre etc...)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
jcee said:
Yes, meant www.pvr-scheduler.de

It does work in combination with (e.g.) websites like www.tvtv.de
You first need to have a subscription to the tvtv.de service.
Then you can schedule recordings on that web page.

Pvr-scheduler queries the website from time to time to sync his local recording schedule with the data on the website..

The big advantage is that you can store your own special search macros on the web site and do have very detailed EPG infos..
E.g. you could list only the movies and Sci-Fi genre..

(I can not do this with MP web interface because it has no knowdlege which genre etc...)

Thanks for the explanation...so tvtv.de must be like MSN Remote Record which works with MCE. Very interesting concept.

Sam

eagle

Portal Pro
September 25, 2004
Unterfranken
Home Country
Germany Germany
sam

tvtv.de and tvinfo.de are online-tvguides not espacially made for htpc-stuff. They are monthly forecasts of german television. You can browse them by defining special genres, movie-titles (even partly) and more. You can put your results into a list. On TVInfo you can use a socalled TVAgent to scan the TV-program automatically (you needn't to be online) for Items you've defined before. The TVAgend should write the results into your list, but I think there is a bug in the TVInfo-Soft because it doesn't work as wanted.

PVRScheduler is able to read this list a making schedules out of it for MP. In PVRScheduler you can define three points of time spread all over the day on which PVRScheduler looks up the list at TVInfo/tvtv automatically. PVRScheduler generates Windows-Task to wake up the PC at the right time and put the PC into hibernate after recording the show.

That's the most valueable feature of PVRScheduler for me.

eagle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom