Query re freesat channel provider shows up as BSkyB (1 Viewer)

PaulMcI

Portal Member
January 2, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post to this forum so sorry if these questions have been asked before.

I have had to get a satellite dish installed because our TV signal comes from a relay aerial and when Freeview was rolled out in October there are only 3 Muxes broadcast (in my case this is only 2 Muxes as my TVs do not support Freeview HD).

Just installed a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 card in my PC and Media Portal 1.30 beta (PC is running Windows 7 32bit).

My queries:

1) Do I use DiSEqC: None and Band: Ku-Linear (Universal) for 28.2E Eurobird Astra 2A [I presume this the correct satellite for Freesat in the UK] with the help page showing it being used for another satellite?

2) When I do a scan for channels the provider is BSkyB with only 'Fashion One' being provided by Freesat? I thought there would be more from Freesat?

Thanks

Paul

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi Paul

To answer your questions:

1) Yes those settings are correct.

2) BSkyB shows as the provider on a lot of the channels and this is OK. The issue is whether they are encrypted or not. As long as they are not encrypted you can view them in MediaPortal without any sort of decryption cards.

Freesat itself is just the Electronic Programme Guide, they do not broadcast channels (although it does appear that Fashion One shows up as Freesat). For channels such as BBC and ITV (and many others), both BSkyB and Freesat boxes show exactly the same channel using the same satellite signal. The BSkyB box uses the BSkyB EPG (which will determine channel number) and the Freesat one will use the Freesat EPG.

Incidentally, to enable the Freesat EPG in MediaPortal rather than using the standard DVB-S now and next info, in MediaPortal - TV Server Configuration go to DVB-EPG -> Radio EPG Grabber and tick Freesat Info. It can take a little while for initial population but this will give you a 7 day EPG for those channels on the Freesat EPG.

Hope this helps

Mew

PaulMcI

Portal Member
January 2, 2013
Home Country
Mew

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

In your reply you said:
> Incidentally, to enable the Freesat EPG in MediaPortal rather than using the standard DVB-S now and
> next info, in MediaPortal - TV Server Configuration go to DVB-EPG -> Radio EPG Grabber and tick Freesat
> Info. It can take a little while for initial population but this will give you a 7 day EPG for those channels on
> the Freesat EPG.

Getting the Freesat EPG was going to be my next question!

But MediaPortal version 1.30 beta DVB-EPG -> Radio EPG Grabber doesn't seem to have a Freesat Info tick box. The only tick box is 'Store data for selected channels'.

Thanks again

Paul

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Porky, would that only apply if the user is running DJBlu's custom grabbers. I know for certain that on my installation I do not have such a tick box as I can't install his mods due to not support New Zealand.

PaulMcI

Portal Member
    January 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Porky

I went through the list of radio channels and only found Freesat Info, not Freesat EPG. Is this the radio channel to tick?

The only mention of EPG in the list of radio channels is EPG Background Audio.

Thanks

Paul

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Paul,

Sorry, Freesat info is the channel I was meaning. However, as Benoire says this may not populate your database unless you are using either DJBlu's plugin, or Miroslav's Sky EPG grabber. Apologies needed there; I have been using Miroslavs grabber for about 2 1/2 years now to populate my EPG so I am not too familiar with the standard setup and tend to forget it is there.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi

The Freesat EPG grabber has been built into standard MediaPortal for some time. The mods mentioned above however will give you EPGs for more channels (if you want to use the BSkyB EPG) and I believe they have other functions such as channel group and series link that the MediaPortal built in Freesat grabber does not have.

Mew

PaulMcI

Portal Member
    January 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Mew

Thanks to you and others for replying to my post as I now have the EPG for Freesat working.

I have used MediaPortal's Server configuration > TV Channels to delete the encrypted channels, untick channels I do not want to view, and set the order in which channels I want to view are presented so they appear as on my Panasonic TV with Freesat which is in another room.

Should the EPG present the channels in the same order as set in TV Channels?

Thanks

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom