Question about how to implement media center (1 Viewer)

J

JmXpt

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle =).

i've been looking on the web for free media center software and this kinda seems to fulfill my needs but i have some questions that i couldnt find in the guides, so here they are:

- After the instalation of the software, can i choose an option to connet the cpu to multi-tv's?, example: i save 4 videos in the disk, can i see the 4 different movies at the same time in 4 different tv's? (my boss wants these so he can be watching a movie and the kids can be watching naruto <_<)

- Is it possible to save/insert/select subtitles to and from a movie?

- What's the propper OS to instal mediaportal?

- Where can i download plugins to add national stations (radio)?

This are my only questions for now, anyway thank you for helping a newby ^^.
Bb.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle =).

i've been looking on the web for free media center software and this kinda seems to fulfill my needs but i have some questions that i couldnt find in the guides, so here they are:

- After the instalation of the software, can i choose an option to connet the cpu to multi-tv's?, example: i save 4 videos in the disk, can i see the 4 different movies at the same time in 4 different tv's? (my boss wants these so he can be watching a movie and the kids can be watching naruto <_<)

- Is it possible to save/insert/select subtitles to and from a movie?

- What's the propper OS to instal mediaportal?

- Where can i download plugins to add national stations (radio)?

This are my only questions for now, anyway thank you for helping a newby ^^.
    Bb.

1. YES. you can install server on one machine and clients on other machines. (can also run client on server machine) - see docs on 'multi-seat installation" Basically the client will just read and play the movie/video from the hard disk of the server machine. The server can also provide tv to the client if its using a tuner card.
    2. YES. Its a relatively simple matter to use subs in the form of srt files or whatever. You can hard-code the subs or use your remote keyboard to switch them on/off if using an external file.
    3. Vista or XP. Some people are trying it on Windows 7. If you install to XP make sure you read the Manual section regarding REQUIREMENTS as there are some updates that must be installed for it to work.
    4. see the plugins/skins section from the main page of the website for available plugins

NOTE: MP is ideal if you are planning to watch TV. If not there are other options like XBMC which may be easier to set up.

JmXpt

January 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Thank u for the help ^^.

The project is about making a mediacenter in order to watch movies+subtitles previously saved in the hard-disk, anw, i will look into XBMC too.
    Can you give me a link to multi-seat installation? (i couldnt found it on the main page.)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    there are a couple of sections in the tv-server manual about multi-seat. if you are not using the tv server this information is not relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom