[ATI] R4350 Surround Sound Setup Issues (1 Viewer)

z3r0_burn

Portal Member
December 8, 2008
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey, I know this isn't the best place to post this but after trying other general/ATi forums with 0 replies I am at a loss.
I just installed Win7 on my system after running WinXP for a few year. I installed everything just fine and got MP running the way I want it but the sound drivers for my Radeon 4350 show only 2 channel audio. Everything I have tried will not let me enable more then stereo in Win7. I look into the audio properties and it shows no formats under the Supported Formats screen. It shows me the KHz options supported for the card but will not show me more then L&R speakers. I had the exact same hardware setup with WinXP and no issues, selected 5.1 and piped everything to the receiver which showed me DD, DTS or (L)PCM and the proper number of speakers for the audio being sent out.

Please help me with this... I would hate to have to switch hardware or go back to WinXP as I love the performance I gained with Win7.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you tried the AVSForum - particularly the EDID overide stuff e.g. EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - AVS Forum

I don't use HDMI audio myself, but it sounds like your problem might be that Win7/ATi drivers isn't reading the audio part of the EDID data from the receiver correctly, so it's just seeing the audio capability of the TV (which is probably just stereo PCM).

Tony

z3r0_burn

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Home Country
    Owlsroost
    Thanks for the info, I had seen that forum thread before but didn't think it applied as I know that with my set top HD-DVD and both my regular DVD players the TV fed the surround/DD/DTS data to the TV and the TV fed the audio to the receiver. Thinking about it that does make sense as those set tops may not have been trying to detect what the supported formats are for the device at the other end.

I will give this a shot in the next day or so and see what I can get to work

z3r0_burn

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Home Country
    Owlsroost
    THANKS! after working through that great info I was able to get the PC to recognize 5.1 and 7.1 with all the formats and frequencies I needed and then some as I forced the system to see a different receiver then what I own. I will be bookmarking that for future reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom