Rating, and "SOLVED" tagging of topics. (1 Viewer)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I am trawling these forums daily, and used to try help out people with their problems if I could. I'm using the "new posts since last login"- feature to check out what is happening in the MP-community, as I find it hard looking through the different forumsections.

Well.. I often "follow" topics to see if there has been any progress with support-questions, but often see topics getting hijacked, or comment posts that has little, or no value to the topic creator.

The frase "Use the search function" also get used a lot on these forums.

The aformentioned lead me to think that it would be good to have a "topic solved" - function available to thread-starter, and moderators, along with a re-frasing of the topic it self.
    ex: topic : "Configuration crashes when autotuning."
    when the thread starter, or moderators fixes this, or a sollution has been found the topic could be "SOLVED: Configuration chrashes when atotuning with Hauppague PVR-500", and maybe get a different color. :?:
    This would help supporters, and the supported to "wrap up"- a topic.

There could also be a "rating"-function to different types of topics:
    - Tips/tricks
    - HTPC-setup
    - Codec-issues
    etc..

This would help searching the forums a lot as people can have a sense of value to the topic.

Does this sound like a good idea? High: is this possible?

My two cents

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Lyxalig

I do not know about you, but the search function is next to useless, never found what i wanted.
    Configuration crashes when autotuning
    Which version of MP this appertains too, many variables.
    Yes would love to see topics closed with a "fixed" logo attached, then would anyone read !
    Yes the forum could do with a tidy up (hey Vanessa's getting all the post's :lol: ) But then its like policeing free speech.
    Plus you will never stop the "please help it don't work" requests with no real information that need the AUTONUDGE in the right direction.

Anyway if ALL usefull/relevant posts are correctly stickied and with the correct naming would help, but again are often ignored.

Thank God for all the people who work on MP and the people on the Forum for helping each other. (everyone need's help sometime)

Best Wishes

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Paranoid Delusion said:
    the search function is next to useless, never found what i wanted.
    Yes, I have to agree - I have never figured out how to get the "AND", "OR", or "NOT" functions to work correctly. Maybe I am just a bit thick.... :?

I think that a better search function would help a lot - then users would be more inclined to go looking for the answers themselves, first ... :)

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lyxalig said:
    Does this sound like a good idea? High: is this possible?

not my buisness, luke is commander in chief here ;)

But its planned by him to switch from phpbb to a "better" solution. Lets wait for that ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Lyxalig said:
    The aformentioned lead me to think that it would be good to have a "topic solved" - function available to thread-starter, and moderators, along with a re-frasing of the topic it self. Does this sound like a good idea? High: is this possible?
    generally speaking it is possible.
    i am using that for the testteam forum -> example
    but i am using the commercial vbulletin software for the forum.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Right on Infiniloop.. Can this board be used forthe standard-forum, or would that take another license?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Lyxalig said:
    Right on Infiniloop.. Can this board be used forthe standard-forum, or would that take another license?
    the database can be converted from phpBB to vbulletin.

but that means the forum hoster (thats luke for the official forum) has to buy a "leased" or "owned" vb licence to use vbulletin.

more here -> http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

you need one licence per forum. so testteam forum licence can not be used for the official forum too.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    infinityloop - Maybe the donations that have come into MP will help Luke defer the cost?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    mzemina said:
    infinityloop - Maybe the donations that have come into MP will help Luke defer the cost?

i have nothing to do with the donations the team receives, so i do not know.

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've already purchased the license and am in the process of getting the forums setup on a temp server so i can rebuild the forum server. I need to test the hard drive in it to make sure it's still ok. I'll also be doing some test imports to make sure everything will transfer easily.

My goal is to have as little downtime as possible, but there will be some downtime when we do a final backup of this database and import it into vbulletin so that no posts are lost. During this time i'll put up a flash game of pacman for everyone to enjoy.

infinityloop, you think you could send me over your vb theme that matchs the main website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom