Really Remote Clients (1 Viewer)

AmenRa

Portal Member
August 2, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a Media Portal 1.0 running on a dedicated PC in the U.S. This PC runs TV Server and has the database and tuner card. I travel frequently to China. I tried to setup the Media Portal Client to connect to my dedicate machine in the US. Needless to say the results were very disappointing.

1. Database queries are poor
When the client attempts to query the database (through whatever means you do it) to update the TV Guide it takes FOREVER. This should be fairly quick and straight forward. Why it takes 10 minutes to get the TV guide listing I have no idea. And don't blame the internet connection. I can download video files faster than it can query the database.

2. TV Guide should display Date and Time of TV Server!
The TV Guide in the Media Client is displaying the date and time of the local PC and not that of the TV Server.

3. Client doesn't appear to buffer stream
The Client doesn't appear to buffer to video/audio stream at all. It appears to play the stream directly. This doesn't work well at all on a WAN connection. I suggest that the client analyze the network connection (i.e. ping and get an avg latency) and attempt to buffer the stream based on a fps formula including the latency.

mitschke

Portal Member
June 15, 2008
Aachen
Home Country
Germany Germany
Stream own local video to remote MP client

I was also searching for the solution for the same problem!
And one problem/Idea/question more. Is it possible to stream local videos true the MP server to a WAN MP client?

I do not want to make a VPN connection to be able to connect to my video folders on the server.
It would be nice to be able to stream true MP and maybe to get him to transcode the video depending on the bandwidth of my remote connection?

is something like that already possible, or didn't I just searched enough true the forum for the answer, or maybe is that something MP isn't made for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom