Ongoing Rebuild my HTPC (1 Viewer)

torbjorns

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi All! Im thinking of upgrading my existing HTPC. So how about some advise , please!
    Today its on my OS win 7 64 ultimate. Is it Worth going to Win 10?
    Today its MP1, is it Worth going to MP2?

Any pros and cons?
    Today theres problem with sleep/ standby funcion - cant get it to sleep again- will it be better with MP2 and win 10?
    Notorius updates with win 10, will it crash my MP?

Check my System Specs for info

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OS - personally - Win10 but marginal:cautious:.
    If you have Win7 licenses you can use on hardware [what prompted my initial change] then probably stick with 7 and avoid Cortana eating up cycles, 100MB of 'private data' being sent to MS, and potential [I've never had one:sneaky: issues with updates:cautious:
    Also this does not cover the specifics of your TV cards, are the fully supported in Win10?

MP1 vs MP2 - for me, no brainer - MP1. :cool:
    MP2 currently has nothing to match MovingPictures and MPTVService in terms of total flexibility [progressing, I look at new release builds, but still not there], and the absolute 'no no' for me, MP2 is it's own configuration tool:mad: - to me, that's asking for trouble, broken installs, etc etc, as while the MP2 developers are 1st rate, idiots using the systems have no end of inventive ways of cocking it all up:cry:

MP2 central DB solution & PinP are excellent features which I can't see coming to MP1 however.:(

Cheers - JCMP

PS - case you have, fantastic, love it.(y)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    and the absolute 'no no' for me, MP2 is it's own configuration tool:mad:
    Which tool are you referring to? There is no "own configuration tool" other than the TV configuration, which is (almost, 99%) identical with the one of MP1.

MP2 currently has nothing to match MovingPictures and MPTVService in terms of total flexibility
    I would not entirely agree to this. MP offers full and automatic movie and series management, including posters, fanart, banners, etc plus info and pictures for actor, character, director, and more without the need to download plugins or configure anything but the definition of the share path. For somebody who is looking for simple, fast an defficient media management, I would rather recommend MP2. In the end it is everybody's own and personal choice what to use. Nonetheless we may want to give objective recommendations to the degree possible.

@torbjorns , take a look at the 2.1 release news that give a good optical impression of what MP 2.1 looks like. You can always do a try yourself to establish a first-hand impression.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Which tool are you referring to?

Configuration of MP2 is in MP2 == my son can 'change it' [AKA break it] that way:mad:

I would not entirely agree to this. MP offers full and automatic movie and series management, including posters, fanart, banners, etc plus info and pictures for actor, character, director, and more without the need to download plugins or configure anything but the definition of the share path. For somebody who is looking for simple, fast an defficient media management, I would rather recommend MP2. In the end it is everybody's own and personal choice what to use. Nonetheless we may want to give objective recommendations to the degree possible.

To be clear - I said "total flexibility", MP2.1 does not have that as of now, it does have all you have stated above mostly - I would not entirely agree on 'simple' when it comes to network share path [but that may be Windows] where media is not on server.

@torbjorns , take a look at the 2.1 release news that give a good optical impression of what MP 2.1 looks like. You can always do a try yourself to establish a first-hand impression.

Point not made is MP1 & MP2 can be on same machine [not 100% flexible so in my configuration I can't test TV] for evaluation - MP2.1 on my Prod machine would be a better test than on my test I must admit.

Cheers - JCPM

torbjorns

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I installed win 10 pro - and MP2.1. Well so far Im pondering about atleast go back to MP1.16.
    - still not getting standby to work
    - TV guide unresponsiveGUI
    - missing teletext subs
    - Imagequality on TV seems to be not so good as in MP1.16 (Im using LAV - But using shark007 for my bitstreaming to work)
    - missing Radio
    - missing EReader.

However I like MP2 and thats the way to go - but it must work properly!

(BTW - is there no other way to donate than by paypal?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom