recommend DVB-S2 card, (UK) criteria inside (1 Viewer)

mmmalas

Portal Member
February 11, 2012
Hi,

I am looking to buy my first tv card (DVB-S2):

1- cheaper the better. dont have huge budget
2- I am NOT interested in dual tuner, single one is all what I need.
3- would like a card that is compatabile with most DVB applications
4- sensitive card, so it picks up weaker channels
5- I fancy blind scan, however I am not sure how much I would benifet from it

this is going to be used for:
1- UK free sat,

2- more importantly going to pick up FTA channels, on diffrent dish when I buy the new dish.

thanks for looking

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TBS 6922 TBS6922 PCI-E DVB-S2 Blind Scan Satellite TV PC Tuner Card Tax Paid | eBay

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

The Tevii seems to be the cheapest. I have no personal experience with DVB-S2.

I have a DVB-T2 TBS card, and it is great. I would definitely recommend the brand.

The best thing to do is identify a few possibilities and search the forums here to see if anyone is having problems. Of course, more users = more problems, so make sure you get a balanced view.

Mark

mmmalas

Portal Member
    February 11, 2012
    TBS 6922 TBS6922 PCI-E DVB-S2 Blind Scan Satellite TV PC Tuner Card Tax Paid | eBay

The Tevii seems to be the cheapest. I have no personal experience with DVB-S2.

I have a DVB-T2 TBS card, and it is great. I would definitely recommend the brand.

The best thing to do is identify a few possibilities and search the forums here to see if anyone is having problems. Of course, more users = more problems, so make sure you get a balanced view.

Mark

thanks for the reply,

funny thing I am bidding on one of those, and watching another.

I was wondering if there are ones that I should stay away, or ones that are recommended.

also what is the use case for blind scan, (surely I can use the manual tuning if I missed a channel) also what case I need to use blind scan, is it in case that the channel just added and the transponder was not updated?

mmmalas

Portal Member
    February 11, 2012
    I got tbs 8920 for a good price @ £28 second hand.

so I will try it out, thanks for the help guys. you will be seeing more of me in the future :)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Slight thread hijack here - I see that the OP found a solution :)
    I would like the same criteria except I want to watch one channel and record another - through a single cable if possible, DVB-S2 is only requirement...

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Spud,

If you use a single cable you could only watch and record different channels if they are on the same transponder only. On sat systems each channel that is active, and on a different transponder, needs its own LNB; if you have only a single cable, you have access to only one LNB and that is the limiting factor.

For greater flexibility you would need a dual LNB and dual tune card to enable you to watch one and record another.

Is it not possible to replace your existing LNB (I did with my old Sky dish - I put a quad one on there) I also used "shotgun" cable - a sort of dual coax which made it easier to nail to the wall. The cost isn't too great.

mmmalas

Portal Member
    February 11, 2012
    I am not sure what a transponder is but, I was able to record around 5 channels at once! all with single cable.

I guess a transponder is a bundle of channels within the satalite?

I had replaced the PCI card, with the PCI-E version, its exactly the same but I dont have enough PCI slots.

I can sell it for what I got for if thats allowed here.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Now I'm reet confused!
    I found this: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html
    the site says
    Even more if you want to make full use of the recording capability of TBS6981, you may record two whole TS(Transponder Stream),one of which could contains maximum ten, twelve SD or HD TV channels into your PC hard disk. Which means you will be able to record up to 24 channels with TBS6981 in the same time.
    And it supports something called 'Unicable / one cable support'
    ???

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hmmm... interesting Spud,

If you look at this >>here<< it is the channel list for Astra 1N at 28.2E and shows the tuning details for each transponder, in addition to the channels available on each transponder, so you can get an idea of which channels are available on each transponder.

Also this is how Unicable works. >>here<<

From the limited knowledge I have (called a pal who fits satellite systems :rolleyes: ) you would need to use a Unicable LNB to be sure the system works as you hope it should.

I would see if others can shed any more light on it before shelling out the hard earned. In fact, have a look at the TBS forum and see what is said on there. I have a TBS card and cannot fault it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom