Recommended Remote For Full Control of MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

NinjaSpy

June 29, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a repeat post but I did conduct a search and couldn't find any threads that related to my post.

I have an Antec Fusion case which came with the terrible iMON RM100 remote which sooner or later is going to get thrown out of the window. It's so intermittant & you can't even map all of the buttons i.e. back & list/menu. In short, it needs replacing.

The Harmony 100 looks like a nice bit of kit plus it will replace my 2/3 other remotes which is brilliant. However, does it control MediaPortal fully? It needs to be able to:

Scroll through the menus (Movies/Music/Pictures, Online Videos etc)
Go back a window
Play/Pause/Rewind etc.
Bring up the mouse right-click menu on a movie for example (this is not critical - just a bonus)

Also, will the Harmony be compatible with my current IR receiver which is built into the front of the case or will I need a USB IR eye?

Many thanks in advance.
Mark

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the Microsoft MCE remote and it does everything you want and more:

Jump to GUI from fullscreen media
    Show/hide subtitles
    Zoom modes
    Jump to TV guide
    Jump to DVD menu (if mounted/inserted)

Sorry, no experience with the Harmony one.
    Emph

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

You will configure the harmony one to emulate an MCE remote, but the issue will be the receiver.

You will/may need a 100% compatible ms MCE remot ereceiver. Becareful as there are some clones which don't work 100%

J.

Ps - I run a harmony with a genuine ms receiver

NinjaSpy

June 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the responses guys.

J, does the Harmony One do everything and you don't need to use keyboard/mouse?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Everything in MePo yes.

If you re referring to windows use in general.... then I still use a keyboard/mouse.

I originally got the harmony to control my other equipment, TV, amp, etc.... but I am now looking to CEC over HDMI, so the remote is a bit of an over kill.... but still looks nice (and the girlfriend is used to it) :D

J.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If you re referring to windows use in general.... then I still use a keyboard/mouse.

I use VNC for this instead and connect to my HTPC from my laptop. I only have the remote hooked up to the HTPC.

I originally got the harmony to control my other equipment, TV, amp, etc.... but I am now looking to CEC over HDMI, so the remote is a bit of an over kill.... but still looks nice (and the girlfriend is used to it) :D

So, it controls her? ;)
    Emph

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would recommend an HP branded MCE compatible remote + receiver from ebay. They come via hong kong and are priced around $10 USD incl P&P. They also come with an IR blaster, and the receiver would be compatible with a harmony remote that is emulating MCE remote.

EDIT: They don't seem to sell the one I bought anymore, regardless get a receiver that looks like this

HP201.jpg

it will be compatible with MCE remote emulation on the harmony and it should be very cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom