Recording causes video stuttering (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Last night I carried out a little test on my system to work out why im getting stuttering issues with video. Turns out when I record a channel (Channel 4 HD on DVB-S), when i try to watch Channel 4 HD 'live' when recording or 4Seven I get a lot of pixilation and video stutter.

Ive installed everythging from scratch so all timshift folders are in default locations and my 'Recorded TV' is on a dedicated G: drive. As soon as i stop recordings I can watch TV with no issues.

This also happens if I watch the same channel on mt TV Server ads well as the Client PC. All other recordings, TV Series, Movies...etc play fine.

I dont think this is a codec issue as playback without recording TV is fine.

I have also checked all 8 satellite feeds and 4 freeview, these are all ok and look mapped accordingly.

Its the 1 issue causing me problems which would be good to resovle if anyone has suggestions.

Ta

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya Neil

At a guess, it sounds like your timeshifting/recording HDD is stressed. Make sure you've added an exception for MPs program, record and timeshift folders in any anti-malware/spyware/virus programs you run. MS Security Essentials is especially known for causing these sorts of problems.

With that said, I'm only guessing. It looks like you've asked about this issue previously over here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/video-stuttering-on-client-pc.120937/

The same comments still apply, and we still really need log files to be able to assist you properly.
    Please take a moment to follow the instructions here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

It really is not hard, I promise. :)

mm

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Yeah I have sort of asked before.

I just got rather annoyed that I sturggled with MCE to get it functioning to what I needed, found MP...thought this is exactly what i need, then run into a few problems.

I will check all my folder sharing / security settings etc.

I use a 2TB hard drive for my recorded TV, and my timeshift folder is on another SSD. I did notice on an earlier install having the timeshift and recorded tv folders reduced stuttering.

I will run a few checks and get a log file sorted.

Thanks for your help

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Little update on this...Having 'My Recordings' folder and timeshift folder on my C: where MP and Windows is installed seems to cure my recording HD TV stuttering issues This is installed on a 120GB SSD. In fact I tried recording all HD TV at the same time and tried watching other channels...seems to be woking ok. Also Nvidia driver changed to an older release and this seem to work better. Only time will tell I guss. Mind you, still want to use my 2TB hard drive for recordings. I do however have another 120GB SSD which i could try using as a test for recorded TV. Im starting to think this is a transfer rate / hardware issue other than software.

Im also running Win7 64 Bit with a lot of features turned off, and only installed required drivers and updates. Seems to be more responsive.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I always record to a separate, dedicated "standard" sata HDD. The OS's are all on SSD though. When the Recording HDD gets nearly full I just delete/transfer to my 'Films' HDD or my 'TV Series' HDD and rename to suit the grabber that each plugin uses.

Timeshifting is done via a 12Gb RAMdisk. I note you use 8Gb RAM, have you tried setting up a 4Gb RAMdrive for timeshifting??

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Funnily enough i was looking at RAM disk earlier. Reading the articles on it, not sure of the benefits and would they be noticeable?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I did a lot of reading about it and went towards RAM disk after reading that the repetitive nature of the data shifting on an SSD could cause problems with lifespan. I never had any timeshift issues using a HDD and then an SSD, but when I built my server I decided to go down the RAMdisk route. It really works a treat! I did think skipping forward or back on a time-shifted file was quicker at first, but I suspect it was just me thinking it was quicker.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Cool,

I will look into that then. The issue i seem to be having with stuttering could be caused by a hardware issue so will have to do some reading and research on keeping MP reliable as i would just like a HTPC that works and is reliable.

Is there any way of looking at a channel and seeing its 'source' feeds? MCE allows you to look at 'channel sources' to see all available tuners for a particular channel.

With 8 DVBS tuners Id expect to be able to record a minimum of 8 different channels on 8 different transponders oin satellite?

Just looked at your specs...nice! My TV server is in the loft! Do you have any issues with recording HD, or any clients all watching the same TV channels at the same time?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Neild7744,

One thing I have done to check the timeshifting 'source' files is to get some timeshifting going by watching a channel on a client and then opening those timeshifting files on another client by using VLC video player. VLC is a free download and I tend to use it for trouble shooting, it seems to play just anything and really well too - although my system just seems to run fine these days; I'm an advocate of the "if it ain't broke" school of thinking, hence still running MP 1.2.3

In response to your last question I haven't seen any issues with recordings at all. Last Xmas, the GF was recording 7 channels, watching one, and I was watching another. I also did "stress test" the system by getting every client, phone and laptop playing live TV too, so it was 3 clients, 2 laptops, 1 Samsung Tab and a Samsung Galaxy watching live TV and again it went fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom