[Remote] Remote Control via Wifi or Bluetooth via Webinterface/Java app/... (1 Viewer)

maybeme

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Started on: 2009-09-15
last update: 2009-09-15

Summary:
Control MP with a MID via a webinterface or Java app

Area:
Remote control

Description:
A HTPC has a lot of input-possibilities, but the ones I can think of all have some difficulties:

- Keyboard: Too big, and TV has to be turned on just to play a song
- Remote: not many buttons or not user-friendly, limited range, and TV has to be turned on just to play a song
- Touch screen in HTPC case: you need to crawl to your HTPC

These days, several hardware companies release MIDs for a reasonable price. For example:
DealExtreme: $151.51 SmartDevices SmartQ 5 4.3" 800 x 480 Touchscreen Linux MID (667MHz ARM CPU/WiFi/Bluetooth/1G Flash)
DealExtreme: $211.02 SmartDevices SmartQ 7 7.0" Touchscreen Linux MID Internet Tablet (667MHz CPU/WiFi/Bluetooth/1GB)

These MIDs can work on Windows CE or linux. These could be the ideal solution to use a HTPC. They can be connected via Wifi or Bluetooth. We could make a Java app, so it would work on Windows (CE) and linux, or make a webbased app so it would work on any platform. With their 'big' screen, you can select songs to play, schedule recordings, ... without turning on the TV.

What do you think?

A couple of suggestions I received:

MPProntoPro
Control MP with your Philips Pronto, but it also works with Windows Mobile. Promising!

iPimp
Control MP with your iPhone, or via another Webkit-based browser. Interesting! This should work via a MID

Blue Portal
Control MediaPortal with your GSM via Bluetooth.
Too bad it's made for GSM's with small screen sizes, but is interesting!

Pocket PC Remote
Control MediaPortal with your Windows Mobile based device.
This program isn't maintained anymore, and doesn't work flawlessly with newer versions of MP

maybeme

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Blue Portal only works for small screens, but is a good suggestion. But I'm affraid it isn't maintained.

Pocket PC Remote isn't maintained also, and I heard there were a few bugs with newer versions of MP.

EDIT: iPimp is really interesting, but I don't know if it can be used with other browsers than the one from the iphone.

maybeme

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Why not use IRSS which supports (among others) both web and Windows CE virtual remotes?

If I'm correct, you can't select a song without turning on the TV with that solution. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That could be something indeed! Beautiful program! I wonder if it works with Win CE, because it works with Windows Mobile.

I'll update the first post.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    IRSS handles just the remote control, cannot provide visual feedback, if that is what you mean. But if you have some kind of mini-display on your HTPC you use that (like I do)

Edit: Another suggestion that comes to mind is to use vnc viewer on your MID, but I don't know how well this would work especially if your MP resolution is full-HD.

gommer

Portal Member
    October 7, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Great initiative. I also struggle with the fact that the TV has to be turned on, only to start a playlist.
    A simple remote control is fine for watching movies or TV, but for merely using the radio streams and audio, it's not a good solution.
    I use VNC on my dektop PC to connect to the HTPC, but it has issues with screen refresh when browsing through lists on MP.

I would be glad if this initiative would result in a plugin release some day.

Cheers, Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom