Remote Control Website (1 Viewer)

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have developed a very simple website which provides basic control of mediaportal via the WifiRemote plugin.

The reason I wrote it as a website is that I built myself a new HTPC for my new cinema room (converted garage) and didn't have a spare MCE remote. I have an iPad, so it seemed an obvious thing (to me) to use that to control my new HTPC. So, I looked into what was involved in writing an iPad app, but didn't fancy paying the $99 fee and buying an actual mac computer to write the software on. So, I figured a website was the way to go. Also, I have 3 other HTPCs which it'd br nice to control :)

I have since found an MCE remote which works perfectly, so I no longer have a real need to develop the website further. Although it might be a fun project to take it beyond a simple remote.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the plex app, where I can use the iPad to scroll through / search my movie collection, and ask my HTPC to just play that file, without the need to look up at the main screen. I can see the iPad "becoming" the UI for mediaportal.

But, as I say, I don't really need to do that to use my setup. Plus, I don't really have a lot of spare time. :(

So I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in me putting my little (rough) creation on bitbucket (or somewhere similar), as a basis for another project.

Regards.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have developed a very simple website which provides basic control of mediaportal via the WifiRemote plugin.

The reason I wrote it as a website is that I built myself a new HTPC for my new cinema room (converted garage) and didn't have a spare MCE remote. I have an iPad, so it seemed an obvious thing (to me) to use that to control my new HTPC. So, I looked into what was involved in writing an iPad app, but didn't fancy paying the $99 fee and buying an actual mac computer to write the software on. So, I figured a website was the way to go. Also, I have 3 other HTPCs which it'd br nice to control :)

I have since found an MCE remote which works perfectly, so I no longer have a real need to develop the website further. Although it might be a fun project to take it beyond a simple remote.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the plex app, where I can use the iPad to scroll through / search my movie collection, and ask my HTPC to just play that file, without the need to look up at the main screen. I can see the iPad "becoming" the UI for mediaportal.

But, as I say, I don't really need to do that to use my setup. Plus, I don't really have a lot of spare time. :(

So I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in me putting my little (rough) creation on bitbucket (or somewhere similar), as a basis for another project.

Regards.

Did you write it in ASP .NET? Maybe wecould just add it to the WifiRemote project...

If you want a remote for your ipad, how about couchpotatoe?

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Did you write it in ASP .NET? Maybe wecould just add it to the WifiRemote project...

If you want a remote for your ipad, how about couchpotatoe?

Yes, it's written in ASP.NET MVC

I did look at couchpotato, but I didn't really like the look/layout of it.

Regards.

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Sorry for the delay in replying, for some reason I didn't get an email notification despite subscribing to the thread.

It's fairly basic in that it's just a remote control with buttons on it. I haven't made it into an easily installable product, I just have the source code available. Is that something you'd still be interested in?

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom