Remote debugging with Visual Studio.NET (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Has anyone gotten this to work with MP yet? If so, could you put the required steps here please? I have used remote debugging in previous versions of the tool and it worked great. And I did find a MS reference page describing how it's done now (using DCOM of all things!). If no one else has, I will document the steps if I figure it out.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Umm, I might be completely wrong here but.....

Isnt remote debugging where you deploy your application on a server and run it there but have your debug window (and htus vs) on your local machine? Like developing a web-application with asp.net or something like that (where the code runs on the webserver)? If so, why would you need that for MP?

Of course........I'm probably just completely wrong about this. But perhaps you can shed some light on this for me as to why this would be helpfull when developing/debugging an application like MP, would interest me :)

Inker

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Inker, Sam is correct. This would let me keep my target machine (HTPC) unpolluted with debug DLLs, the compiler, etc, yet still let me debug code changes.

Sam, thanks for that link. I will give it a try.

M

Myyz

remote debugging

there are some things you should be aware of.
    You need to have the authentication set up and working between your debuggee (the targe machine running debug code) and your debugger.

This means in reality NO cross-domain stuff. If you have a domain-member debugger machine, you will at most be able to debug a debuggee in the same AD forest or a stand-alone machine, by creating a login with the same name and password on your debugger, and LOGGING in using that before starting the debugging session.

With winxp sp1 and earlier I have tried unsuccessfully to debug a debuggee in another non-trusted domain, and it does not work. Even if running msdev environment with runas command under another account. Visual studio still uses the logged in user as the authentication against the debuggee, which fails unless the user has debugging special rights or is an admins member on the debuggee machine.

While it is possible, I am not 100% comfortable with recommending it as it requires also similar versions of all the used (referenced) assemblies, libraris, and probably for directx stuff more than that as well. That is on both the debuggee and debugger.
    (I have nada experience with directx, but can only imagine that it would require VERY similar versions of that as well, which can be really problematic considering all the directx versions and patches our there)

So there you have my less-than-2-cents. Personally I just usually set up a remote session to the desktop of the debuggee and debug locally. Or kind of locally with remote access. Damn that is so philosophical. Anyway you know what I mean. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom