Removeable Drive Detect Plugin (2 Viewers)

TheLexus

Portal Member
December 5, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello.

This thread discusses the RemoveableDriveDetectPlugin.

It can be found here: RemoveableDriveDetectPlugin.

The plugin is really new, there are some issues with it.

If you have issues with it, just ask.

Current Version: 0.12

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ThX again for the plugin TheLexus....

On my system "XP pro SP3 Dutch" "MP RC4 in Blue3 skin" the removable drives don't show up, could it be the (Dutch) language is messing it up ?

Im curious if others get it to work.....

Greetings Jan

krzysior

Portal Member
    December 10, 2008
    Hello.
    I have tried this plugin because i hoped that it will help problem with my internal card reader in F-S scaleo E case.
    So, with or without this plugin mediaportal doesn't show removable drives (inserted memory card or plugged in pendrive) when usb card reader is active in windows. After disabling usb card reader by "safe remove usb device" mediaportal has no problems with detecting any plugged in usb pendrive.
    This problem is also valid for my other system with different usb card reader.
    Both systems use windows XP SP3, and I have tried RC3 and RC4 releases of mediaportal.
    Also, I would like to say that both card readers are fully functionable in windows.

Maybe, there is chance to fix this behavior with this plugin, but at this stage this plugin doesn't change anything in my current setups...
    Greetings.

TheLexus

Portal Member
    December 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello there:

userjan: Could you please send me the MP Log File! Please set the MP Logging Options (COnfiguration, first screen) to DEBUG before! Yes, this can be the language, but i dont think so, i will see!

krzysior: Ok, for my understanding: Windows doesnt detects any usb mass storage devices (usb memory sticks or usb harddisks) if the cardreader is plugged in?

Card readers are a different thing than the usb mass storages... Please setup MP to logging level DEBUG and send me the log file (one if the cardreader is plugged in and you plug a usb stick, and one without the cardreader (but restart MP between the 2 steps).

illStyle: That are goot news, i have another (better) version here, but i need some modification of the mp main source, maybe the main devs are hearing my suggestions :)

krzysior

Portal Member
    December 10, 2008
    Hello again.
    I would like to say that windows doesn't have any problems with detecting plugged in usb memory sticks when there is cardreader present in the system. Problem is with mediaportal, because it can't see any added memory card or plugged in usb memory stick when there is cardreader visible in windows. But after removing cardreader from windows, mediaportal starts seeing all plugged in usb memeory sticks, and add them in My videos, My music and My pictures automatically.
    I'm posting log files, but i think that there is noting usable to solve my problem, but maybe i'm wrong...

Best regards

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I thought the card readers would show up as a "removable drive" so thats where i might have gone wrong with it.

Gonna give it another try when i get home from work.

Greetings Jan

TheLexus

Portal Member
    December 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

krzysior:

Ive checked your logs.

Do you have plugged in a usb memory stick during mp was running and the cardreader was connected? If yes, windows doesnt sent any message that there is a new device... ! Without such a message i cant do anything... but maybe my first post was not clearly enough (in what you should do and why :) )

krzysior

Portal Member
    December 10, 2008
    TheLexus:

Ok, finally i discovered why there is problem with cardreader. So, mediaportal doesn't show any removable drives which drive letters are lower in windows hierarchy then those assigned to empty slots of cardreader.
    Example: cardreader with 4 ports have drive letters F:, G:, H:, I:, and all are empty, and there are usb memory stick with letter J:. In that situation mediaportal doesn't show drive J:, because there are empty drives with higher letters. But when usb memory stick has letter E: it show up in mediaportal, because empty drives are lower in hierarchy.
    Also when you have card in drive F:, then it will show up in mediaportal, but will not when you put card in drive G:, H: or I: and F: drive is empty.
    I've observed this in 3 different hardware setups and with 2 different card readers.

Turning back to your plugin...
    Now i know that it adds removable drives plugged in during mp working. Ok, it works, but...
    First: it takes about 10-15 second to drive shows up in mediaportal, during which mp doesn't react for any inputs,
    and second: i think that it does not work for My videos, because it looks like mp not your plugin take care of detecting drives in that section (different labels then in My music and My pictures).
    I,ve observed this on 2 different machines.

So, maybe you can fix those 2 little problems...
    For now thank You very much for your interest!
    And sorry for my english, i don't know if it's fully understandable...

Greetings

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What exactly does this plug-in do? Plug in ipod and the content is made available function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom