[Rejected] Rename "Filter" to "Group by" (1 Viewer)

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
February 2, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Why is the option to group items in lists called "Filter"?

In all the other programs I use, "Filter" means to remove some of the entries from display altogether. Indeed, if you install the WebRadio plugin, you will find the filter option presents a dialog where you choose which categories to include, and when you OK that, only those categories are shown in the list. Just like what I expect from a filter!

In MP2, setting a filter seems to add an extra level to the display, containing all the values in the chosen category, you choose that and the next screen shows all the items in that category. In other words, it groups the items by the chosen category.

Why not use the term "Group by" or maybe "Combine" (such as in the Windows taskbar).

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why is the option to group items in lists called "Filter"?
    Because there is/was also a special Grouping function planned. The dev who was working on this retired some time ago and it has not been taken up. It may be some legacy issue though.

Be aware that changing such a thing is labor-intensive. Any change of string in the parent English master leads to deletion of all associated translations in all languages, which then need to be redone.

Also, it would be nice
    One request per thread please. Thank you for editing your initial posting and putting that part into a separate request.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Be aware that changing such a thing is labor-intensive. Any change of string in the parent English master leads to deletion of all associated translations in all languages, which then need to be redone.
    Which doesn't mean that I am against it. :)

Actually it may not be that much work as the "Filter by" is just one single string that displays in only a few dialogues boxes, hence a quick change. So the changes would be
    • EN "Filter by" -> "Group by"
    • DE "Filtere nach -> "Gruppiere nach"
    • FR "Filtrer par -> "Catégoriser par"
    • IT (@Alberto83 takes care of this ;))
    Would be OK for me.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In all the other programs I use, "Filter" means to remove some of the entries from display altogether
    This is exactly what filtering is doing currently. It shows only the items of the single filter parameter in the current screen, the other are not visible. Grouping means that all parameters are considered and just grouped in the same screen, meaning no items are hidden. So everything works here as expected and in the same way as windows, WMC and probably also other software.

If the WebRadio plugin works differently, then there is a problem only there. Let’s discuss this internally and close this thread here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom